A Pen or Two ....

Discussion in 'Cool Stuff' started by dapprman, Apr 15, 2018.

1. dapprman

dapprman Registered

Shadow Cat likes this.
  2. Eros

Eros

Pens are always good - Given that fountain pens appear to have become a rarer and rarer beast, Iv taken to exclusively writing in fountain pen... because... reasons :)

3. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Fountain pens are also much easier and keep RSI under control. <3

4. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

I've found myself using various pens a lot while at work these days, mainly for highlighting/underlining stuff and making rough notes. This means using numerous colours, so I fall back on whatever cheap ballpoints happen to be around. Problem is, you have to apply quite a bit of pressure, especially when the ink of certain colours seems to "flow" better than others (light green and orange are awful for this. I can only assume there's some difference in consistency of the inks between different colours).

I never liked fountain pens because they smudge like hell when you're left-handed, but I don't think it would be an issue in this situation. The light touch and "smoothness" of a proper fountain pen, even for highlights and scribbles that nobody except me will ever see, is tempting...

5. Eros

Eros

Yeah, being left handed would kinda make fountain pens kinda suck a bit more than Jell or ball point ink pens. I am right handed so cant speak of that frustration from experience.

Different inks definitely do have different consistencies and flow. I usually use Lamy pens, I swapped one of the nibs for a wide calligraphy nib, the pen itself had green ink, and it flowed perfectly. Once it ran low, I cleaned the pen and put blue ink through it. The blue ink just wouldn't flow at all... the pen became a pain in the ass to use... Iv since swapped the nib back to its normal medium one and it works just fine.

In general for me i like that with the right paper surface, fountain pens require so little effort and pressure to write with. I do find myself tensing my hand a lot of I am writing lots, though in general its good.

6. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

The Lamy Safari pens are wonderful. I have two of them with Red / green ink for marking and notes on drawings.

I suppose the LH issue could be solved with quick drying ink maybe?

7. dapprman

dapprman Registered

Actually they are becoming more popular - including with the 'yoof' market, but not as fashion items, which means the gradual increase should remain.

On left handed writers - some manufacturers (including Lamy) do make nibs ground for left handed people but I've heard mixed things about how successful they are. Most left handers I know who use fountain pens tend to have adjusted writing positions to avoid the smudging, though this can restrict some of the pens they use as often it means they can't use the traditional 'triangular' grip meaning they can't use pens with clips at the nib end, or shaped (such as Lamy Safari/Al-Star/Vista/Joy, OMAS 360). (edit) Also, as Seb/Weirdo has said - dryer inks may help, though may not work so well with the pen.

On Lamy nib swap problems - I suspect the nib was not on properly - either there was some dirt under the original nib, or dropped on the feed, creating a gap and preventing the ink from flowing. Might be worth trying again. Note, which Lamy nibs are easy to swap you should not do it too much as you will gradually wear the feed and make the nib loose - gives an excuse to get another pen :) - think with Lamy I have 3 safari, 1 al-star, 1 studio, 1 scala, 1 imporium and 1 dialog3 ;) of and a 2k