Star Trek: Discovery (potential spoilers)

Discussion in 'Other media' started by Ross, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Ross

Ross Behind you...

So, Star Trek: Discovery is showing in the UK on Netflix and I caught the first two episodes last night.

I really enjoyed the show overall. It's more of a prologue (you don't even see the Discovery ship!) but the production values are absolutely terrific, and the opening is possibly the best Trek has ever had.

There's a real feeling of weight to everything, the sets and props are very solid, and it's clear that this take on Trek has taken huge cues from contemporary shows like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, with a serial rather than standalone (so far) feel. Actually I'd say it's like a far more action packed Stargate: Universe.

The USS Shenzhou is a frikkin' marvellous piece of mechanical design, and everything from the overall lines to the super-detailed shots of the exterior are amazing for TV production. Given all the issues that were reported in production, it comes across as super-competent on screen.

The cast are solid, with good performances all round. The aliens on the Federation bridge are nicely varied, with great make-up and (in one case) a con operator has a screen for a head. Very FLCL.

The Klingons are dangerous and a bit mental, just how they should be. I don't personally have a problem with the improved and more alien look they've gone for here. I know purists will probably cry foul as it doesn't fit with the established timeline (and this is Prime universe to be clear, no movie exploits) but honestly, we can't expect TOS to be the establishing criteria for everything, the world has moved on.

The story is very much told from one point of view rather than the "bridge crew" dynamic Trek is famous for, but I have a feeling that'll develop once the series starts properly next week.

Anyone else seen it yet? :)

2. megalomaniac

3. Manning

Manning The Lunatic Fringe

I'm a bit on the fence with it so far, I went in with little expectations and ended up liking it so far, I'll carry on watching that's for sure.

What Ross touched on does bother me, it's probably how the fans of TOS felt when they saw the Klingons in TNG. I'm a TNG era fan through and through and while I do think the Klingon redesign does look good, it doesn't just doesn't fit for me, if they are going with an ancient puritan breed of Klingon, then I'm all for them looking different to what I'm used to, but I've seen no evidence of that so far.

I really just don't understand the reason for the redesign and that's probably why it bugs me so much, I was looking forward to at least seeing the Klingon ships, but alas, also redesigned, sure they fit the new style of Klingon, but are completely unfamiliar to what I'm used to.

I just feel like the are making it unnecessarily difficult for those fans, like me, who have a hard time adjusting to drastic changes, especially when the prime time line is concerned. Klingons always looked very alien to me, compared to other 'alien' races who looked completely human.

The Federation on the other hand, those ships look 100% familiar and look amazing, for an old ship the Shenzhou looks the best out the bunch, looking forward to getting a good look at the Discovery.

4. Ross

Ross Behind you...

5. Manning

Manning The Lunatic Fringe

I'm still not sold on the show yet after episode 3. I like the less emphasis on the Klingon's this episode and it seemed a bit more sciencey, almost like a episode on its own, rather than following a dramatized story arc like we were led to believe, a bit more in touch with the ST we know and love.

That said, when you see graphic mutilated bodies and I may be making this up but I'm sure their was a touch of swearing, you know it's not so much a family friendly show anymore. Still early days, this felt more like the pilot than the real first episode did, we actually got to see the Discovery, finally.