Star Wars: Force Awakens thoughts [Spoilers!]

Discussion in 'Other media' started by Ross, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Ross

Ross Behind you...

So, who's seen Star Wars then? I'll keep my first post spoiler light :)

Have to say, I enjoyed it all the way through. In retrospect there are things I'd have liked to have seen done differently, and the general situation could really do with some explaining (how we went from a happy ending in Jedi to the mess the galaxy finds itself in now is never really looked into).

I'm also a bit confused as to how the new Empire managed to create a planet sized weapon with nobody trying to stop them until way too late.

It's probably explained in the new comics or novels, but it really felt like too much happened off-screen and we only got a very small layer of the whole story.

All that said, it really had some magic moments. The Falcon reveal was really well done, the early Tie adventure was just pure wish fulfilment fantasy and Kylo Ren was a great character (until they unmasked him).

Can I also say I loved the guy dishing out portions, I dunno who voiced him but it was great.

Also major kudos for making all the bad guys British. Made it really hard to root for the rebels!

The fight scene with all the X-Wings over the bar were just magic - watching the X-Wings swoop in over the lake was pure magic. Made me want a little legion of X-Wing toys so badly I went to the Disney store and picked up some of their exclusive die-cast version, which are amazing (especially for just under 8 - seems ridiculously cheap for the quality!) Shame they don't come with stands though.

I'm thinking of picking up the Hot Toys Rey and BB8. The only other character I've ever spent that much moolah on was Hot Toys Iron Man, so colour me impressed!

So, anyone else have any thoughts? :)

2. magigreen

magigreen Registered

My big niggle is revealing who Kylo Renn is. I wish it had happened later in the film rather than earlier. That way I feel it would have had a bigger impact.
    Aside from that I loved it.Really reminded me of seeing New Hope for the first time. Nice to see the franchise is back on track.

3. dapprman

dapprman Registered

Was grinning like a 10 year old when it started and loved it.

The guy trading the food/salvage was Simon Pegg.

The storm trooper who Rey did her bit on was ...... Daniel Craig

Oh and I came out of the cinema grinning like an idiot as well :D

4. Ross

Ross Behind you...

I saw it in 3D and picked up the Stormtrooper glasses. Probably the daftest souvenir I've bought in years :p

I'd heard about Daniel Craig, I think it's cool they could slip in subtle cameos like that. Also great to see Greg Grunberg, always liked him as an actor, he even made an impact in Hollow Man :)

5. Tora-kun

Tora-kun Trying to improve

[youtube]qslJQUMc9yA[/youtube]

6. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

I really liked most of it. Daisy ridley was fantastic and I can't wait to see more of Rey. Love the practical effects too which just look so much infinatley better than full CG ones.

On the other hand I HATED the bridge sequence which just felt utterly misjudged and almost deliberately designed to upset fans in the wrong way. I also felt that Finn was the most pointless waste of space going - he doesn't do anything for the storey after the initial escape sequence and the attempts to set up a romance with him and Rey felt forced and didn't work on any level.

But maaaaan that final fight :D

7. Ross

Ross Behind you...

I agree that Dasy Ridley was a highlight, she was the perfect blend of charm and feisty, independent woman. I loved it when she kept telling Finn to let go of her hand :)

I also agree that the bridge scene wasn't only misjudged, but also telegraphed far too early. I get that we were supposed to see the pain on Han's face, but it just didn't seem at all plausible he'd turn Kylo Ren and that he just threw it all away for no real reason. It just didn't feel true at all to the character, and really needed to be written better.

It would have worked far better had Han actually tried once already earlier in the film and almost gotten through to him, making his last ditch effort a second time more natural.

I also thought the final fight only made Ren seem weaker. Rey pulled off moves that took Luke 3 years to learn with training, which also seemed odd. For me, the best bits of the film were the bar attack and the Tie escape.

8. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

The main thing for me was that if your going to kill han then he deserves a really meaningful death. He could have sacrificed himself to blow up the generator or something whereas what you get is kinda p***ing on the character and those who love him.

I didn't mind that ren was shown as pretty weak as I like the idea that he basically thinks he's Vader but is basically just a whiney teenager doing cosplay and flailing around hoping to hit something just like Finn was. Whilst Rey's development was admittedly a bit fast I thought the fight worked as the fight on Jakku kinda set up that she was really good at close combat.

9. Ross

Ross Behind you...

With Rey, it was more the force move to snag the lightsaber and her adeptness with it. A sword is a totally different fighting style to a staff, but I suppose she proved how adept she was with the force when she managed to get herself released by Daniel Craig :)

I would like to see Rey take up a Darth Maul style lightsaber staff in future though, that'd certainly give her a style that would be a natural fit. It'd look amazing too :)

I don't know if I like Ren as a stroppy teen. He looked like an extra from Game of Thrones, and I was really far happier with him in the mask than with it off. Also, how the hell did he get all that hair in the helmet? :p

10. magigreen

magigreen Registered

I still think there are big revelations about Rey yet to come. I swear she's going to wind up being a Skywalker which may explain her sudden mastery of the Force.

11. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

It was very heavily hinted at that she was Luke's daughter and that han,Leia and ren all knew who she was (and i'm fairly sure that shes fully aware of who she is too). I'd say they were misleading us but Abraham's isn't a very intelligent writer or director hence why you could predict every single plot point well before it happened so I'm thinking that that's going to end up being the case.

I think the only big mystery at the moment is how maz managed to get hold of a lightsaber last seen falling down a shaft into the depths of Bespin?

12. dapprman

dapprman Registered

We already knew from near the start that Rey was skilled in melee weapons.

13. duoinchains

duoinchains t'other resident yaoi fan

I quite enjoyed it (2D*) even though it definitely felt a lot like a re-telling/re-boot of IV, so I didn't quite feel the same 'WHOOOAAAHHHHH!!' I did back in 1977.
    But plenty of knowing references made it entertaining and fun to watch.

Other half was a sobbing wreck after the bridge scene, though.

*can't do 3D, it doesn't work for me.

14. dapprman

dapprman Registered

Same for me with TVs but I've been told I should be fine in the cinema, however ... it was filmed in 2D so the 3D is only a processing overlay - JJ himself has said in an interview that it works in 3D significantly better only on the latest iMAX laser projected cinemas - of which we have but two in this country.

15. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

It's a lie as far as I'm concerned - I can't see 3d effects and I can't say I've ever thought that what they're described as would ever have any effect on my enjoyment of a film. If the directing, writing, acting and cinematography is good enough then you don't need the crutch of gimmiks like 3d or that horrific-sounding 4d to make a film immersive!

16. Claw

Claw Registered

I didn’t think much of it.

It’s a pretty good character focus story absolutely smothered by Hollywood nonsense. You had something really nice at the core there – with three pretty great actors – who were reach running or hiding from something in their past or legacy in their own way, which is a great little story, but did we need the planet ending super weapon… again? The Extended Universe at its best was character focused, really building up new or existing characters in interesting ways, and at its worst it just tossed in a super weapon or yet another clone of the emperor, and this film decided to do the same thing (and I’m totally expecting the supreme leader to turn out to be just that). Just… why? You could have deleted all the scenes about the super weapon and still had a great film. Just so tacked on to up the stakes.

Anyway… it was visually exciting and blah blah blah… if you throw enough money at a film they’ll all look this good, so that doesn’t really do it for me anymore. One thing that annoyed me was the constant, relentless references (which weren’t directly related to the events on screen) to the old films. Did you really need to show us the training droid ball thingy from the first film, JJ? I know it was like one second on screen… but come on. I’m here for new stuff.

On a more positive note, Ford really put a lot of effort into this, I was really expecting him to phone his performance in given his age, but he was excellent. Carrie Fisher, on the other hand, should maybe have laid off the cigars before she came back to work; she sounded terrible and was completely wooden. On the flip side, I really enjoyed all three of the new actors, they were all pretty great in their own way. Only bother was how Kylo just looked like a moody teen with daddy issues; that was totally, totally fitting in this film, but I’m going to struggle to take him seriously in the future, especially as he got his ass so completely kicked here. I don’t see him being Vader imposing now.

They played it safe and made a generic Hollywood film here. I wasn’t expecting anything ground breaking (and it’s worth remembering that the original first film really was ground breaking for cinema) but something fresh – from a movie point of view – would have been nice.

17. Dandaman

Dandaman Awesome!

I finally got to see this yesterday and after all the hype, I feel let down. It started pretty well, but I was glad to see the credits to be honest. The bridge scene was terrible in my opinion, felt like it was just thrown in there for some drama despite the outcome being extremely obvious.

With that being said, I know a lot of people who had the same opinions and then seen the film a second time and enjoyed it. I may have a gander again when it comes to Blu Ray.

18. megalomaniac

So, I finally saw it over the weekend. I really enjoyed it at the time, but the more I think about it the more holes I poke in it (Pretty typical of JJ's work really...). I think I'll need to see it again to form a full judgement but...

Rey/Daisy Ridley was by far and away the best thing in it, it's just a shame they pulled half her abilities out of thin air. She's never flown a starship but after a few seconds at the wheel of the Falcon can pull off manoeuvres that even Han Solo would be proud of? No, that's just ridiculous. It's established she can kick ass, but taking on and defeating Ren? No. He was trained in the ways of the Force by the greatest living Jedi before turning and killing all his fellow students. She's a scavenger from a desert planet and aside from a few words from Maz has no instruction whatsoever in the Force. Sorry but that's all suspension of disbelief totally gone. It's fairly heavily telegraphed that she's someone important, maybe she's a Skywalker, maybe she's the Emperor's illegitimate kid...who knows. Even then there's nothing in The Force Awakens to inform where all that prowess comes from. It wouldn't take much either, the film would really benefit from Leia or someone just showing her a few things or having something from her past crop up to help explain it. You wouldn't even need to show it on screen just imply that some training or something had occurred.

Finn I'm really not sure about, he was in turns brilliant and awful. I think the character actually got less interesting as the film progressed.

Poe seems interesting, but we don't really see that much of him.

The bridge thing...yeah. That probably the most obvious thing in the whole film, it was pretty inevitable. That said I wouldn't be that surprised if it's not the last we see of Han, it wouldn't be the first time in Star Wars someone's seemingly fallen to their death only to be...well...not quite dead after all.

19. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

https://youtu.be/Wo2XuXt0iy0:D

20. rjessop

rjessop Registered

I think she yells "I'm a pilot" as she and Finn are running towards the other ship. She also demonstrates intimate knowledge of the Falcon's systems and modifications. Hints that she's flown before, probably even flown the Falcon itself I thought.

Well he did have a great big hole in his guts from which he was bleeding profusely. Might have evened the odds some :)

Your suspension of disbelief survived objects with mass travelling faster than the speed of light, laser beams that travel slower than the speed of light, a ship entering a planet's atmosphere at a relativistic velocity and decelerating to a relative stop without exploding like a million nukes, a weapon that eats stars and explodes planets, but it didn't survive a space wizard swordfight :D

I reckon Han is dead. I suspect they'll have a bit of Luke in the next one but that'll be it for the old cast (except Chewie). I'm looking forward to seeing what they do next with these characters.