|
|
|
|
|
|
|
UK Anime Network
Main Site Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   UK Anime Forums > General > Cool Stuff

Cool Stuff Got something cool to show us? Models, Toys or weird stuff goes in here!

Old 18-03-2016, 09:20 PM   #1
Shadow Cat
The resident Yuri Fan

Default Fake Figure Review: Yoshino

Yoshino Fake Figure Review

To begin with, I do not condone the purchase of fake figures, if you’re interested in buying figures then its best to buy from retailers such as AmiAmi, Hobbylink Japan and Jlist.

Otaku.co.uk has a great article here on unlicensed goods.

Click the image to open in full size.

The cost

The figure was purchased from a popular auction site, unboxed for £22 with Free Post and Packing. There was also the option to buy the figure with a box but this was an additional £5 I wasn't willing to spend.

Although the listing stated Free Shipping was 20-30 days, the figure arrived within 4 days using an express service, if the price is similar to EMS then that is about £10 shipping.Taking that into account, the figure cost about £12 what is laughably cheap.

Packaging

As mentioned above, I chose to purchase the unboxed version of the figure. This arrived safely in the plastic insert you would normally find the figure in, surrounded by bubble wrap, inside a weatherproof bag. The amount of packaging used was easily enough to stop the figure being damaged. Is it safe to say the figure cost about £10 now?

Figure

I’m going to try and be as unbiased as possible with my pros and cons, but I feel it necessary to start with the cons.

The biggest being the sphere part that’s to the left of the figure, this is utterly horrible to look at due to the mismatching seam line, considering to just snap it off to be totally honest. Only other noticeable seam lines are on the Bunny ears and where the bunny ears are stuck on to the hood, these is less noticeable than the sphere and nowhere near as bad as some Prize Figures.

Paint is a mix, if you’re intending to have it on a shelf along with other figures for display rather than handling then it’s perfectly fine in my eyes. On the other hand, there are parts of the figure that aren’t painted correctly, unaligned and just sloppy, although this still better than some Prize Figures. It does seem the Seam Lines in the photo's show more than when its on the shelf.

Be aware I’m very worried about the smell that the figure had when it came out of the packaging, I do not know if this was the packing materials or the dodgy paints used but as it’s a fake figure I’m putting my guess on Paint. If you intend to purchase fake figures, open them outside and let them air out in a dry dark place for about an hour just to be safe, not really a good idea to go sniffing it or handling it too much for the first few weeks just to be safe.

Figure was also very difficult to put onto the base, if you thought genuine figures were a pain to assemble, this is a whole new thing. If you also like to look at figures with great detail you will also notice some of the body parts (Bare Arms/Neck from what you can see under the clothes) are not scaled correctly, but this isn’t /that/ noticeable.

Conclusion

At this point I don’t want to say “Compared to the official figure....” as to me it seems very unfair comparing a £60 figure to a (essentially) £10 figure, although I can understand why people may do this as it is trying to directly copy said £60 figure.

But it’s a really good quality figure compared to other figures around the same price. A few examples of that I own/have owned include: RWBY, Minami (Sega), Kagami (Sega) and Yui (Embrace Japan).

(Other than the worry the paints going to literally kill me tonight) I find the figure to be of good quality for £22 (£10). Although poor quality for anyone who wants to put the Official and Fake together.

Once again, I DO NOT condone the purchase of Fake Figures

If you have any Questions, Comments or Concerns, please leave them below or contact me via PM.
Shadow Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #2
CrimsonScholar
Uka-no-Mitama-no-kami

They're really stepping their game up with unofficial goods it seems.
CrimsonScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #3
Shadow Cat
The resident Yuri Fan

First and formost, I'm sorry for breaking the "Do not revive threads that are more than 1 month old" rule but I'm just doing a little follow up

--------------------

As the majority of people know, I do like to support official figures so I ended up buying the Don't Hurt Me Yoshino figure from OtakuMode, admittedly for only $32.99 rather than the list price of $139.99 but still, official figure purchased

--------------------

but what about the unofficial figure?

Well, from what I can see (other than the dust) not much has changed, nothing has fallen off and there is no obvious discoloration on the figure.

Putting the two figures together, its Ok~Good how close the colors are although as mentioned in the opening post, there are some sloppy parts on the figure. I haven't done anything about the (imho) very poor seam lines on the sphere but honestly... I haven't really noticed it.

Again, if you're after something for display that isn't being handled, then its fine.

--------------------

I want to be very clear now before you read on, I do not support fake figures, I've mentioned this so many times already its unreal but I need to make that clear

But honestly? Give me the choice between paying £200 for a second hand figure that should retail for £80~£120, and £20 for a fake one. Unless its something I really love, the fake figure might just do the job...

I will Always buy new and reasonably priced second hand figures if they are available but when we are talking about £20 vs £200, there is a difference, especially for someone who like me who displays their figures rather than keeping them "like new"

--------------------

A small note to resellers

Anyone who buys fake figures and sells them in shops or at cons (usually around the same price as official figures), please just go away. I've recently spoken to someone at a con who seemed a pretty good Anime fan, who was selling fake anime figures

If you're a fan, you don't sell fake figures, its as simple as that.
Shadow Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 01:25 AM   #4
Manning
The Lunatic Fringe

I read the initial review, excellent descriptions of the pro's and cons, and its cool to get an update, and to see that you got the official one eventually.

Kinda concerning that they are very alike, except on closer inspection.