|
|
|
|
|
|
|
UK Anime Network
Main Site Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   UK Anime Forums > General > UKA Garage

UKA Garage Need help with hardware? See if our army of boffins can help...

Old 18-03-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
latro
Registered

Default Tablet woes

I'm having a bit of a panic attack after my nexus 9 brought us a bunch of nasty looking messages. Fearing someone dumping something nasty onto it I've run a factory reset and am swapping out passwords that may have been used on the device. Anyone able to confirm that a factory reset will definatley have removed any issues? The internet is as always full of massively conflicting information....

As well as this, anyone able to reccomend a good bit of virus software for android?
Old 18-03-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
Shadow Cat
The resident Yuri Fan

Factory Reset should do just that, reset all data to factory specs, removing all traces of virus's along with it.

Only time I can think of when this doesn't apply is when its been rooted because there is always the risk with the CFW having a /back door/ that adds extra services that might be hard or impossible to remove without rooting again

----------

Personally I use AVG as its pretty solid while still being cheap (Damn it could have even been free), some companies like Kapersky have 3 user 1 year deals where you can use Kapersky on your PC, Phone, Tablet (although I haven't used it personally)

Yui Sempai

~ My Anime List ~~ Random Anime Pics ~

Click the image to open in full size.
Shadow Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 07:08 PM   #3
latro
Registered

40 mins later I've changed passwords for everything (It'll now take me a year to remember them all again.....)

Tablet is reset. Hoping my paranoia clears enough soon for me to use it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Cat View Post

Only time I can think of when this doesn't apply is when its been rooted because there is always the risk with the CFW having a /back door/ that adds extra services that might be hard or impossible to remove without rooting again

)
My computer knowledge is very rust on this. What does it mean/how common is it/how would I know?

Last edited by latro; 18-03-2017 at 07:13 PM.
latro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
megalomaniac
「遊びは終わりだ」

Yes it is possible to still be compromised after a factory reset, it isn't that likely but it is possible. Can't really offer any reassurance either way, you just have to suck it and see.

Remembering and resetting passwords wise: Use a password manager, for to love of god use a password manager. 1Password or LastPass will do nicely.

Also never use AVG for anything, ever. They sold out years ago, it's no better than the crapware it claims to protect you from these days.
Old 18-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #5
Shadow Cat
The resident Yuri Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by latro View Post
My computer knowledge is very rust on this. What does it mean/how common is it/how would I know?
Rooting just lets you do more with your phone that you otherwise wouldn't be able to do, like with IOS Jailbreak you can install third party software much easier. Not really sure what the difference is (if any) between Custom Roms and Rooting, so I'm simply guessing they are the same things here, tbh I don't really know as I don't currently use an Android phone.

Very little chance your phone is rooted/CFW/CR with that reply in all honesty, you can always check using a Root Checker app but if you purchased it new then you will be running genuine Nexus firmware.

Only reason I mentioned this was as it wouldn't be impossible for people to add custom certificates or privileges to the phone to allow third parties to do stuff, unlikely but always possible

Yui Sempai

~ My Anime List ~~ Random Anime Pics ~

Click the image to open in full size.
Shadow Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #6
latro
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalomaniac View Post
Remembering and resetting passwords wise: Use a password manager, for to love of god use a password manager. 1Password or LastPass will do nicely.
I like a password manager in theory but what if you forget the password for that or if it's that password that gets hacked?

And how does it work for phones/tablets?

I've just sat through a dozen YouTube videos about checking android for possible issues and not one of them could offer anything more constructive than 'log into safe mode'. Very helpful.

How long would it take anything nasty to download and install itself? I reset the tablet almost straight away and then hit factory reset once it booted up again.
Old 18-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #7
latro
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Cat View Post
Rooting just lets you do more with your phone that you otherwise wouldn't be able to do, like with IOS Jailbreak you can install third party software much easier. Not really sure what the difference is (if any) between Custom Roms and Rooting, so I'm simply guessing they are the same things here, tbh I don't really know as I don't currently use an Android phone.

Very little chance your phone is rooted/CFW/CR with that reply in all honesty, you can always check using a Root Checker app but if you purchased it new then you will be running genuine Nexus firmware.

Only reason I mentioned this was as it wouldn't be impossible for people to add custom certificates or privileges to the phone to allow third parties to do stuff, unlikely but always possible
So if I bought it new and didn't root it myself there's no issue (with this at least) yes?

I know I'm being massively paranoid for what probably nothing but when it just started vibrating alerts I panicked...a lot.
Old 18-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #8
megalomaniac
「遊びは終わりだ」

Quote:
I like a password manager in theory but what if you forget the password for that or if it's that password that gets hacked?
Good password managers use very strong encryption, unless you've pissed off a large wealthy government nobody's getting in there if you pick a long enough password. The beauty of a password manager is you only need to remember one password, even you can remember one I'm sure - but yes if you forget that one you're screwed. Only having to remember one means you can make it long and strong with much less risk of forgetting it.

Personally I like 1Password, works on Android too.
Old 18-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #9
megalomaniac
「遊びは終わりだ」

Quote:
So if I bought it new and didn't root it myself there's no issue (with this at least) yes?
No, whether you've stuck something custom on there or not you can still be compromised. There are a ton of security holes in stock Android. Though that sort of tinkering or things like software not being up to date will increase your risk.
Old 18-03-2017, 07:57 PM   #10
latro
Registered

Yeah I get that, was just referring to the specific issue necro was talking about.
Old 18-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #11
latro
Registered

Tablet running again now. Just gonna have to keep a careful eye out for a while I suppose (more so than usual anyway..)
Old 19-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #12
rjessop
Registered

To add to what Dan said, if you use a file-based password manager then you don't ever need to put your encrypted password vault online, meaning that no online provider has ever had a record of the password you use to unlock the vault, so a private company being hacked is not going to lead to your passwords being compromised.

It could be compromised in other ways, e.g. You could store the vault in Dropbox (I do, for convenience) meaning that a hacker could get the vault if they hacked Dropbox (or guessed your password), then if they also had a key logger installed on your machine they would have both the passwords and the means to decrypt them. Then they'd have every password you put in there. This would be pretty tough to pull off as they'd have to attack two different places.
Old 19-03-2017, 01:02 PM   #13
Necro
Grim User

Quote:
Yeah I get that, was just referring to the specific issue necro was talking about.
As another warning about password managers (and I do strongly recommend everyone to use one), make sure if you generate a new password that you know it's saved before changing it.

I changed my Reddit password, and use lastpass to generate a new one. Now, usually it saves a temporary "Generated Password for "x"" or asks if you want to update your password. For whatever reason, it didn't this time. So I changed my password to some random string of characters and had absolutely no way to revert it, change it or recover it (i didn't have an email attached to the account). So I had to make a new account.

Just a cautionary tale

1998 - 2013
Necro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 02:47 PM   #14
latro
Registered

Hmmm....I may have to continue this discussion at ukastock....