|
|
|
|
|
|
|
UK Anime Network
Main Site Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   UK Anime Forums > General > Games Thread

Games Thread For those who twiddle their thumbs...

Old 27-11-2016, 10:53 PM   #1
Cudwieser
Registered

Default Pokemon Sun/Moon (possible spoilers)

Got Sun and Moon today and have been plodding through at the minute. I must say I am very intrigued by the new mechanics. Gone are the gyms and HM's in is what seems a more basic game. That might sound odd, but it seems to be working. There are plenty of familiar items like the TM's, Pokemon battling and catching and the adventuring, but with not apparent restriction on leveling and a change in what would be the gym dynamic, what we have seems is a more 'natural' game instead of the level up game we have had until now.

Then there are the Z Moves. Seemingly replacing the mega evolution we have an 'ace-in-the-hole' style boosted mode where additional powers and moves can be called upon once in a battle. It seems interesting and we'll see how they playout in strategies and general gameplay, whether they are just a gimmick or not. Z Moves do seem to play are the old Arceus plate idea by collecting crystals for a Z Ring, each boosting a type of move for any pokemon with compatable moves (yet to explore this in earnest).

So far all seems good, but what do you all think?
Cudwieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #2
Clover
Bananya!

I've got Sun! I really like that this art style, which we first saw in Pokemon X/Y, is used in Sun/Moon. I've not played much yet as I've only recently acquired the game, but so far the only 'flaw' which I discovered is that the intro is quite a long ordeal (in my opinion at least).
When Sun/Moon was first announced, I didn't really know what to think about the Hawaiian-theme. Admittedly, I was probably too focused on what Pokemon "should" be like rather than entertain any new ideas. Now, I see this is exactly what the franchise needed: the core of the game is still there (catching/training/battling), only wrapped in a brand new coat. I hope this opens the door to more innovative Pokemon 'variations' in the future, although I also hope they'll continue to release games that are like the 'old' versions.
But again, I've not played the game for very long yet, so I'm basing this 'review' on a first look.

Which starter Pokemon did you pick?
Clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
Cudwieser
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover View Post
I've got Sun! I really like that this art style, which we first saw in Pokemon X/Y, is used in Sun/Moon. I've not played much yet as I've only recently acquired the game, but so far the only 'flaw' which I discovered is that the intro is quite a long ordeal (in my opinion at least).
When Sun/Moon was first announced, I didn't really know what to think about the Hawaiian-theme. Admittedly, I was probably too focused on what Pokemon "should" be like rather than entertain any new ideas. Now, I see this is exactly what the franchise needed: the core of the game is still there (catching/training/battling), only wrapped in a brand new coat. I hope this opens the door to more innovative Pokemon 'variations' in the future, although I also hope they'll continue to release games that are like the 'old' versions.
But again, I've not played the game for very long yet, so I'm basing this 'review' on a first look.

Which starter Pokemon did you pick?
Very good point on the intro. It is long winded.

I will admit I am still a little put out by the change in style but I am warming to it. Being brought up on Pokemon of old I like the older style and like yourself would like styles similar to the older games, but I can see this setup working very well. It is actually a bit of a relief not to have the limitation of badges and restriction on the levels of pokemon you can work with in the beginning. Just jump in and play (once you get through the intro).

I picked Rowlet. What about you?
Old 02-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
Clover
Bananya!

Living up to my Crazy Cat Lady status with Litten! Although I greatly dislike his final form, it looks like a cat on steroids. Same for Popplio - that final form is just a sexualised seal/mermaid thing? In my opinion, only Rowlet looks good in its final form (but heck, I couldn't skip on kitten Litten).
Clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:16 PM   #5
Tora-kun
Trying to improve

I did the thing were I started a game, traded out the starter, and then started again for the next one. ^^;

Most of my squad are gen 1 pokemon. Think I need to get with the times and throw in more current monsters.
Tora-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
Cudwieser
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover View Post
Living up to my Crazy Cat Lady status with Litten! Although I greatly dislike his final form, it looks like a cat on steroids. Same for Popplio - that final form is just a sexualised seal/mermaid thing? In my opinion, only Rowlet looks good in its final form (but heck, I couldn't skip on kitten Litten).
Can't speak for the others but I agree with Rowlet. Very sinister and medevil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tora-kun View Post
I did the thing were I started a game, traded out the starter, and then started again for the next one. ^^;

Most of my squad are gen 1 pokemon. Think I need to get with the times and throw in more current monsters.
Oddly You're not the only one. Currently I'm rocking Decidueye (Rowlets last form), Growlith, Magneton, Gyrados, Hariyama and Comfrey

I suppose you go for what you know as I only have 2 new and 4 older pokemon. I will say some of the Alolan Forms will be useful (Geodude is Rock Electric, Sandshrew is Ice, Raticate is Normal and Dark while Marowak is Dark IIRC). There are still regular forms of them, but the alterd forms give a wider flexibility.

I will praise the game for the way it handles utilities like surf and rock smash, but that is also a curse (No More HM's and the loss of some useful moves)

Also the fishing is a bit of a pain, add to that it seems to rely on wild pokemon and exhaustable trainers for leveling. I haven't found a grind spot yet.

Other than that I'm still enjoying this fresh twist to an old favorite.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:39 PM   #7
Shadow Cat
The resident Yuri Fan

I don't actually own this game

But I am happy seeing Yuri posts around facebook with Sun x Moon

Pretty weird as Pokemon hasn't really been big in the Yuri community

Anyway

Litten FTW
Shadow Cat is online now   Reply With Quote