Any recommendations for a great first 4 episodes?

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Horkall, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Horkall

Horkall New Member

I'm part of this Student Union University Society (glorified after-school club) where we watch and discuss anime. We only have the room long enough to watch about 4 episodes and call it a week, so we sort of operate as a "free trial" for any given anime series (sometimes movies too, but another society does those, so we try not to clash)
    I was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations for anime series that start out with a great first 4 episodes. They don't have to be self-contained in any way, as long as people still find it enjoyable having only seen 80 minutes of it. It doesn't matter if it's incredibly obscure or super mainstream, as long as it's enjoyable for uni students. We've already gone through a few, alike Full Metal Alchemist and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but I usually watch movies and long-form anime like Dragon Ball Z, where only watching the first 4 episodes doesn't really do it justice.
    The easy way of asking this would be: Are there any accessible anime series where it doesn't take 20 episodes for things to get interesting?

2. Necro

Necro Grim User

The obligatory 3 episode hook is Madoka Magica. Everyone on here loves it, I thought it was good. Pretty popular overall, definitely worth discussing with friends.

Marmite comedy Nichijou is great and for the most part self contained, so 3/4 episodes is a good shout to see if it fits the clubs humour. I personally thought it was the funniest thing ever, but I know some people on here weren't fans.

Watamote is another easy watch that should resonate with the club. It's cringe inducing social awkwardness, so it hit far too close to home for me. Again, a couple of episodes should be enough of a teaser. The ending song is also cute af.

3. Just Passing Through

How about some OVAs? Can usually get through the lot in the space of four episodes or less. Suggestions, A.D Police, Baldr Force EXE, Gestalt, Dragon Half, Gunsmith Cats, Le Portraite de Petite Cossette, Oh My Goddess, Orguss 02, R.O.D. Read or Die, Riding Bean, Strait Jacket, You're Under Arrest, Slayers Excellent, Slayers Book of Spells, Dead Leaves...

4. Horkall

Horkall New Member

We've already seen Madoka Magica, but I haven't heard of the other few. I'll certainly check them out!

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll make a list and pass them on to my co-members!

5. Cell

Cell Ye ragin', aye?

Good first four episodes? Why not No Game No Life?