How should we report on delays to home video releases?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Hanners, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

So, anime releases get delayed a lot these days, or generally see their dates churn in the shifting sands of time itself, for better or worse.

With so many release dates now constantly in flux, I've been pondering how - and if - you guys want us to report on news of those date changes?

Often the delays are only for a week or two, so as a general rule I tend to only put up stories for major delays, but would you rather know about every date change? Just the big delays? Or are you not interested in us reporting on them at all?

Needless to say I update the UKA release calendar whenever I hear about date changes to keep that as the go-to place for such things, but I'd be interested to hear what suits you guys best.

(I was going to make a poll, but I'd rather hear your thoughts without stratifying them into specific trains of thought)

2. megalomaniac

Personally I think all release date changes are news. Perhaps a standard date changed format/template might be useful so you can just pipe in dates and titles and they're then easy to differentiate from regular news if folks aren't/are interested too? Win win.

3. S.D. Hester

S.D. Hester Registered

Just keep us informed, I tend to expect some companies to constantly shift Release Dates anyway, it's just nice to be let know.

4. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

Catchphrase it - one line story says it all really.

5. Mormegil

Mormegil 12professions 13accidents

I agree that every delay isn't worthy of a new newspost.
    I don't know of a way to put this without it sounding like a joke, but...
    something akin to "this weeek's anounced delays" or more serieus : "confirmed delays"?

6. Tora-kun

Tora-kun Trying to improve

If something's gone back for say a week or two, maybe not. Significant delays (Evangelion 3.33 for example) are worth the mention though.

I like what Mormegil's saying though. Maybe a weekly/biweekly update of changes would be good.

7. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

Yeh, I think something like

-- A Bi-Weekly thread for standard 1-2 week delay titles
    -- A thread if a company says "hey, we have lots of delays!" (more than 3 in one announcement)
    -- A thread if the company has an important announcement to make about the delay

8. megalomaniac

The problem there may be that reporting the delay could be somewhat irrelevant by the time the thread rolls around.

9. Claw

Claw Registered

Maybe round up any delays as a little sub-note at the end of the new releases? It's not really news if it's not a big delay, but I'd like to see it somewhere.

10. TiggsPanther

TiggsPanther Registered

I'd say a weekly roundup of upcoming confirmed changes, in most cases, would make sense.
    Maybe as a note at the end of the New Releases article, seeing that it often mentions things that are upcoming. Especially as a last-minute short delay would likely affect that particular information anyway.

As Chaotico mentioned, if a company makes an official announcement regarding multiple delays or about a single title getting a major delay, this would probably warrant a special mention.