Jurrasic World

Discussion in 'Other media' started by latro, Jun 13, 2015.

1. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

So, I saw this today. Yeah sooooooo its bad. not horrendous but bad. Its a real shame too as with very little effort this could have been an amazing film and no it wasn't the tame raptors from the trailer or the genetically modified dinosaur that caused the problems. As a Scooby Doo villain would say - They would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids!

The franchise has always had an issue with hateful little snots. Admittedly they pretty much had to have them in the first two films because they were in the books (and what we got in the original film was massively better than the book version where Lex was an 8 year old who spends the whole time crying and whinging about baseball...) but 3 and World? Well there's no real excuse.

In this film in particular the kids are just painful to watch (especially after seeing the excellent Tomorrowland where 13-year old Raffey Cassidy was brilliant). Its almost as if they made a concious decision to get the two child actors with the least amount of talent to play two of the most hateful stereotypes - sullen teen and know-it-all brat - to...well..reduce the budget I suppose? I mean lets face it - does the parents divorcing storyline have any place here? No because the parents aren't in the film for more than 5 minutes and no-one cares. Do we need to see the park through the eyes of a child? No of course not - the very first film proved that the best viewpoint was through the eyes of the ADULT characters be it John Hammond and Alan Grant with their wonder at seeing these creatures realised or Malcom with his pessimism about what will go wrong. Do children need to have other children in the film to relate to (this one can apply to any film with an unnecessary child actor)? No of course not - Kids don't want to be the little kid when they come out of the cinema they want to be one of the dinosaurs or the Chris Pratt as the hero!

Nothing shows this up more than the final act of the film where the kids finally shut up and sit in the corner and the film pretty much instantaneously becomes awesome with amazing action scenes and some great character beats. Dallas-Howard and Pratt could easily have made this huge on their own but it seems the film makers just didn't have the confidence in them to go for it. What you end up with then is something that's massively uneven and has about half the character beats it needs before going into its brilliant climax. In fact it wouldn't be unfair to compare this film to the recent Godzilla remake which also spent huge amounts of time with characters no-one cared about before coming alive in its final act.

So theres my Jurassic World rant:rolleyes:

2. Claw

Claw Registered

Ah that old chestnut. I must admit, poorly written child characters is a huge bugbear for me. Jurassic World - which I'll admit have not seen yet - looks like it was written by a committee, all with their own mechanising and marketing needs.

3. rat

rat god of all

the death of the british bird was a bit OTT, i loved the dude running for his life but still remembers to grab his drinks

4. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Those ****ing high heels...