Read a good book lately?

Discussion in 'Other media' started by Weirdo, Nov 10, 2005.

1. cosfyiep

cosfyiep Registered

The 5th wave is really good. I like the story and the characters and the plot! I hope the next book will be released sooner.

2. cosfyiep

cosfyiep Registered

Just read the school for good and evil. Its a children's book so there is no bad ending :( but I still think its good.

3. Carlito

Carlito Registered

Well considering I really am not a reader. As some know. I have actually just finished reading Lord of the Rings. Got to admit, I really enjoyed it. No idea what to read next though

4. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

If you want suggestions, let us know.

Oddly enough, picked up an old favourite, Tad Williams' - War of the Flowers, on Kindle. Been ages since I read this. I am considering it to be a warm up before Peter F Hamilton's book signing on Thursday :)

5. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

Back in the UK in time for a PFH signing? Well played sir.

I'm currently working through Terry Pratchett's nonfiction collection 'A Slip of the Keyboard.' I've known him by reputation since forever and I have a few of his Discworld books plus one of his YA novels at home, but I didn't know much about his background and career overall. This particular book is fascinating as well as hilarious - Sir Terry really is one of the sharpest writers around, and given the problems he's had with his health in recent years I guess we should savour each new Pratchett as if it's his last...because none of us know if it will indeed be his last. :(

One interesting little detail in this one though: he owns ten of his trademark hats, which are apparently Louisianas (or an Akubra, for use during visits to Australia), and are not quite the same as a standard fedora. There's a four-page chapter dedicated to them. :cool:

6. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

I'm currently reading TP's latest Discworld novel, Raising Steam...about the only author I make time to read these days (I've read every Discworld book over the last three decades).

[Happosai]

7. KittyWatson

KittyWatson Registered

I just finished reading '1984' by George Orwell as a part of my A level studies, despite that it was pretty hard to get through for me, I enjoyed it, though I have no doubt that if I didnt have my tutor teaching me all the contextual stuff I wouldnt have enjoyed it as much...
    Otherwise though I just started 'Looking For Alaska' by John Green. I loooooved 'The Fault in Our Stars' so Im looking forward to this, along with 'Paper Towns'. Anyone else read these? Im curious as to what Miles is counting down to.. "One Hundred and Nine Days Before" hmmmmmm

8. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

I'm in the middle of "The Man in the Rubber suit" by Robert Llewellyn, which is proving to be quite entertaining. Before that I read the Jobs autobiography, and am now looking forward to some of the unofficial Apple books so I can fill in the blanks :)

#268 Acteon, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
  9. Morgs

Morgs Registered

10. IzayaOrihara13

IzayaOrihara13 Registered

I just read Anne Frank's "The Diary of a Young Girl"

It was both cute and depressing, but I didn't shed a tear. Which says a lot, I cry at sad stories :(

11. Overlord Ramirez

Overlord Ramirez Edajima Heihachi's Pupil

continuing by walk through Brian Sandersons works so far and currently on Book 2 of the Stromlight Archive titled Words of Radiance, I can't think of anyone at moment that can create worlds that have such interesting magic(or Powers) systems.

12. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Have recently finished "The House on Hydrogen Hill" by Peter Truckel.

It was wonderful. Its been a while since I have seen quite so much nerd pandering, dwarf, nazi and other quite crude jokes in a book, whilst maintaining a good plot line, as bizarre as it was.

This one sentence, however, had me in absolute stitches for about an hour...

13. -Danielle-

-Danielle- Whore dollas all over the place...

I went and ordered 3 books off Amazon last night. I haven't read these sorts of books for a while now. The last I can remember being Room, Before I Go To Sleep and Me Before You (the latter of which I adore and cried my eyes out at!!!). So yeah I ordered:

The Husbands Secret
    Before We Met
    Until You're Mine

I really wanted to get The Girl On The Train but it's still not in the price range I want for which these 3 were; a tenner for all brand new.

14. Rivienne

Rivienne Registered

I recently read Girl in the Dark by Anna Lyndsey. Interesting, astonishing and beautiful in its simplicity.

15. Hououin_Jouma

Hououin_Jouma Kyouki no MAD SCIENTIST

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. They say that almost everyone in Japan has read it. I can see why. It's simpler than the other, later Murakami work I've read (the 1Q84 trilogy), but deals with the same themes of nostalgia and separation. Within five pages I had a tear in my eye, and towards the end I hurled the book across the room in grief! Very highly recommended to anyone. The tone reminds me of a Key visual novel/anime like Clannad.

Oh! But don't assume the film is a fair substitute for the book. It omits massive stretches of character development, but decides to keep some of the unnecessary subplots. It's a huge mess, and does the subtlety of the book no justice at all. It could have worked as a TV drama, but a two-hour film wasn't nearly enough.

16. -Danielle-

-Danielle- Whore dollas all over the place...

Reading After You. Lovely book but Me Before You is still the stronger of the two.

17. Kadngi

Kadngi Registered

I'm actually reading a few books at the moment; Time of Contempt by Andrzej Sapkowski, Shogun by James Clavell and A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan.

18. Cell

Cell Ye ragin', aye?

Norwegian Wood is pretty much an average dude picking between two different types of crazy and being drawn more towards the super crazy one for a long time. I enjoyed it, as with most of

Currently reading Last of the Breed by Louis D'Amour. It's about a native Indian pilot shot down near Russia and is on the run from the KGB and the prison commander who shot him down to obtain information regarding prototype US planes.

Really good book about a wild man taking on both his hunters and the bitter Siberian winter.

19. rjessop

rjessop Registered

Recently I've been listening to audiobooks as I've been walking a lot. So I've gotten through:
    Waking Up - a book about, for want of a better word, spirituality - Sam Harris
    Islam and the Future of Tolerance - a dialog about reform in Islam - Maajid Nawaz & Sam Harris
    ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror - an exploration of the history and makeup of what now calls itself The Islamic State - Michael Weiss & Hassan Hassan
    Chasing the Scream - a book about the war on drugs - Johann Hari
    So You've Been Publicly Shamed - about social media shamings - Jon Ronson
    Get It Together: We Deserve Better Politics - a polemic about the current state of the British political establishment and what can be done about it - Zoe Williams

The one I've currently got in progress is The Way of the Runner by Adharanand Finn (he also wrote Running with the Kenyans) which is about Japan's professional and amateur running culture. It's focus is one of Japan's biggest sporting obsessions (alongside baseball and golf), a long distance relay race called ekiden. One of these, the Hakone ekiden, is a two-day event that draws millions of viewers every January. There doesn't seem to be an anime about ekiden (that I could find with a cursory google) which is a little surprising given how popular the actual sport seems to be.

20. Cell

Cell Ye ragin', aye?

Heart of Darkness

Much like Apocalypse Now, found it decent but overrated.