This bot infestation is getting out of hand

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by demon, Feb 27, 2019.

1. demon

demon Registered

It seems that on almost a daily basis a new bot infests this forum and it appears nothing is being done to get rid of them or even ban their accounts and in my opinion new account creation should be suspended until something else can be put in place to curb the ingress of these bots (I don't thing having the first post approval system will work since the bots have gotten smart enough to fool that since a few did manage to get through).

2. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Account creation is already heavily restricted. Checked admin settings today and it seems like the new captchca has been hacked and bypassed. Bearing in mind we use the official google one, this is a bit worrying.

Blocking IPs now, and I do go through the new user list once a week and nuke them. But I also don't want to prevent any new users joining at this time.

3. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Also, I do look at the reports and do a monthly process. Issue I have is that it does take a lot of time. If you report, I can sort it. I have also added Matt Crook as a mod to help delete as he has offered to help.

4. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

Really good timing from Demon, Mentioned this to Weirdo the other day :)

I'll keep an eye on the forum for bots/spam. If I miss something, feel free to report it and we'll get it removed

5. Cell

Cell Ye ragin', aye?

I didn't realise you used the google captcha- we had a report at work the other day it had been compromised.

6. demon

demon Registered

One thing I would suggest doing is locking down the rules section so that it isn't a ready source for bots to start new spam infested threads.

Also adding stopforumspam might block some of the bots from even registering.