Akira

Discussion in 'Anime' started by livvie brundle, Jul 16, 2018.

1. livvie brundle

livvie brundle New Member

***SPOILERS***

anime fans; like or comment if you've seen Akira and had nightmares about the transformation scene. 's the thing that makes me not want to watch the movie again, it freaked me out so much the first time. The only way I can think to describe it is; it's like watching a man turn into an all-encompassing mushroom cloud without an actual explosion (which, considering it's Japanese animation, is a chilling thought. Nuff said.)

Akira-5.jpg

Horkall likes this.
  2. J.Akorah

J.Akorah Member

I have a really distinct memory of watching this film when I was 9 or 10. Back then my only exposure to anime was Pokemon and Shaman King so I thought this would be equally harmless-- I'm pretty sure my parents thought the same when I coaxed them into buying it for me. Boy were we wrong. I don't think I've ever felt as frightened or as fearful as I did back then; I'm pretty sure watching that particular scene as a kid is the reason why I'm still so squeamish when it comes to body horror.

livvie brundle likes this.
  3. Cell

Cell Ye ragin', aye?

I always found the creepy moving toy animals far worse than the transformation scene.

4. Horkall

Horkall New Member

I always found Akira to be more confusing than anything else. Even to this day, I think back to the scene at the end and think how it went so completely over my head.

5. Tweek

Tweek Registered

This was the first anime I ever saw; it was on Channel Four back in the '90s. It is pretty weird to say the least. Still a classic though :)

6. dapprman

dapprman Registered

I saw this at the brand new art cinema in Wolverhampton on it's initial world trip .... except the dates on Wikkipedia are a year AFTER I saw it - so I can only assume they did an initial limited release at smaller cinemas around the world to gauge the response. I still remember just how blown away I was at the start. There was literally nothing like it at the time.

7. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

I always thought of Akira as the anime industry's Blade Runner in the sense that in the 80s it made a huge impression on what went after, but it shows its age in a number of aspects and isn't "perfect". In both cases, you can point at the book that it's based on and remind everyone that what we saw on screen only comprised of half of what the original creator had in mind.

That said: its similarity to BR extends to the fact that, for all its flaws, it's an absolutely stunning piece of cinema. I still recommend it as a movie, purely because the visuals are absolutely gorgeous. Various critics and academics have picked apart films like this by pointing out the plot holes and stuff that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but if you show it on a cinema screen it still looks astonishing and I think that people will still be impressed. The world-building, background artwork and "cinematography" (I dunno what the term for that is in the context of animation, but you get the idea) all look great. Even now, when CGI can make anything look however you want it to look within the boundaries of an average Hollywood blockbuster budget, but most of this stuff was HAND DRAWN.

It's important I guess to remember the older viewers who saw it as kids and remember the David Cronenberg-esque "body horror" stuff, but TBH...how many newer shows have done that? Even now, it makes me sit up and blink. And yeah, the hallucination scene with the toys is creepy as all hell!