Has UKA been hacked

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by demon, May 1, 2015.

1. demon

demon Registered

Could someone explain why I received an email linking to what looks like an ad link page since it looks like the forum and its email system has been hacked since my username was included in the email.

2. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Can you post, minus the personal information, the email here.

There was a breach of some description last night, which is being looked at.

3. Unknownfate

Unknownfate Level 32 Archmage

Was it an email from wesell.cc got one of those myself

4. Manning

Manning The Lunatic Fringe

There was an odd topic made by Ross this monring (quite early), apologies if it was legit, but I can't seem to see it now.

It was about being payed to play games, seemed more like an ad than a genuine topic.

Questions like.

Do you get payed to play games?
    How much do you get payed?
    etc..

Was his account tampered with here?

5. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

It was. And that was the issue we know of.

Again, if people had emails from the forum, please let myself or the other administrators know.

6. Tora-kun

Tora-kun Trying to improve

Yep, I got the e-mail as well. ^^;

7. demon

demon Registered

That was it, and according to the header information it was 'sent' before 2AM (if I'd read the information, but I did get some screengrabs however I forgot to upload them) so I'd have to hazard a guess that whomever made that post was most likely the one who sent out the emails.

8. trismugistus

trismugistus wrapped in tasty pastry

Hi - I got one too. Text was:

www.WeSell.cc
    forum@uk-anime.net (forum@uk-anime.net)
    Add to contacts
    01/05/2015
    To: xxx
    forum@uk-anime.net

Hello trismugistus, you can get any Anime DVD, Game, Collection, Book, Poster ...etc... by using service from www.WeSell.cc
    - Register now and deposit with Bitcoin, starting shopping and get all things shipped.

9. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

All the passwords and forum permissions have been changed over, I was unaware that anyone had received actual emails. We've run scans all over the server and there are no rootkits or untoward files on the server, so it looks like something hit the actual forum database.

Passwords are encrypted, they shouldn't have ANY personal information beyond your forum username and registered email address. Obviously if they have any information, that's not acceptable and I apologise for the breach. But passwords ARE safe. We're not Sony...

I'm looking at upgrading the forum to increase security and that may incur some downtime, but we are taking it seriously and spending some money on it, so please bear with us while I get more info.

Regarding emails, the forum email has been completely reconfigured. according to the server logs, one mass email was sent out, no more than that. This should prevent any repeats, but if ANYONE gets an email after today that claims to originate from the forum then please contact/pm me asap. Again, this shouldn't now be possible, but it never hurts to nudge me.

#9 Acteon, May 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015
  10. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu