How did it start?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Clover, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Sydney

Sydney Registered

I grew up watching Gundam wing, sailor moon, Tenchi and outlaw star (probably more but can't quite remember) without realizing it was anime. Other than sailor moon (and yes I know it was aimed towards girls but oh well) I thought all these shows were just for adults as I could only watch them on sky and not on normal telly. I would stay round my nans over the weekend, stay up late and watch whatever came on at night on toonami or foxkids etc. When we got our first pc with decent internet the first show that made me start looking at anime specifically was escaflowne and the first show I watched knowing full well it was anime was Evangelion (which was also my first physical copy). Been hooked on it ever since.

2. Dridge118

Dridge118 Registered

Grew up watching Pokemon if that's an anime or not... Loved Pokemon as a kid then when i got older didn't really watch anymore cartoons or anime until very recently. About 2 years ago a friend showed me SAO/Attack on titan and i loved it and fell into the world that is anime :) Even tho as a guy most of my fav anime's are like Is the Order a Rabbit?/Working!!!/Say i love you/your lie in april... and so on i'm a sobby romantic :) . I just like how well the stories are developed and i really get lost in each world! No dubs for me tho every time i hear a dub just don't sound right to me... sub all the way :)

3. MrChom

MrChom Registered

Well I'd obviously seen bits and piece of anime as I'd grown up. from what was on 80s British kids TV to Pokemon in the 90s. But the real start? A chatroom I was in for N64 news/discussion generally had an anime discussion of some sort going on. It always looked interesting so I messaged one of the more ardent anime fans (who I've scarily known for about 15 years at this point), and asked him if he was going to recommend just one anime what would that anime be?

He recommended me Ranma.

I was sold about 5 minutes into episode 1 when Ranma gets clobbered by a Panda holding a stop sign :D