I'm thinking of starting a YouTube channel

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Darkseer, May 24, 2017.

1. Darkseer

Darkseer Rugged Writer

I'm thinking of starting a YouTube channel.
    And the concept is 'tabletop wargaming in the wild'.

None of this 'oh we played a game in our perfect studio' stuff that other channels do.
    (I swear that many games are staged and they only roll for the important bits to add drama)

I want to video the games of Warhammer 40,000 that I play at tournaments.
    And tournament games are the best!

Obviously, I don't want to be holding up a video camera throughout my games.
    So I'm trying to work out how I can passively video my games 'in the wild'.

Small cameras set up in each corned of the board?
    A small camera worn at chest height?
    Google Glass - or equivalent glasses with a camera built in?
    A combination of the above would be best.
    And a microphone...on my collar?

I think I could make this work as something a bit different that would have real value.

What do you guys think?

I'd really appreciate some help with a technology solution to the problem of passive, non-invasive recording.

2. demon

demon Registered

Camera glasses would be the better option, but I would suggest not going for the cheapest pair available as they might not have good quality in the image department.

3. Necro

Necro Grim User

Honestly the most obvious solution to me is tripod at slightly above table height. Depending on background noise, the (probably not great) inbuilt mic of the camera you use should pick up everything, otherwise grab some cheap individual ones and you're good.

Benefit of a tripod is you can realistically get most cameras onto any given one with some tinkering, and you can play with the angle until you're content.

4. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

I'm going to say avoid Camera Glasses to be honest. When playing Tabletop games you move you're head around a lot (Viewing own units, enemy units, dice, rule sheets, weapon sheets, ect) and it likely going to get very disorientating for the viewing to keep seeing this, Especially when some games can go on for hours

And don't get me started with the outright mess editing would be with that sort of footage.

Sure some content can benefit from this sort of filing, Airsoft games being the one that comes to mind as it shows the FOV of the player, usually multiple people all having camera's and in the same general area, you could edit quite nicely

but for a static, close up shot? No

----------------

A few camera's dotted around pointing at the board, maybe a dedicated camera if you need to talk about rule sheets and mission briefings that can also be used on a tripod to get those "Look at this scene" shots.

No moving cameras

------------

This is purely my opinion though

------------

Edit, also don't forget if you have a decent smart phone that can do at least 720P recording (480p kinda ok.. kinda) then you don't even need to buy a camera to get going

#4 Shadow Cat, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
  5. megalomaniac

6. ic

ic Registered

Bugman's is awesome. Haven't been there in ages.

You might want to wait for the 8th edition dust to settle before committing (side note, Death Guard minis look better in the flesh. As for the new Primas Space Marines meh. Not a fan at all. Apparently the Gathering Storm wasn't meant to be the 7th edition closer but the start of 8th, so they had to backport the rules down to 7th. Lol)

Also I feel like making some comment about Space Wolves since I have a Thousand Sons Heresy era army

7. megalomaniac

My first time... despite working around the corner for years and living within walking distance for the last decade.

8. Cell

Cell Ye ragin', aye?

just wait for the well informed comments to roll in!

9. Jamtea

Jamtea Bee cool

Just tripod up a camera, and make sure to record audio on mics. Also, try to keep the conversation light and relevant.

The problem is that playing for fun, and playing for an audience are not only very different, they may actually be in direct opposition to one another.

Authenticity is only a minor part, and to be honest, is relatively unimportant compared to being entertaining and keeping viewers engaged. That's not to say it's an unachievable goal, but there is a reason that Warhammer and other minifigure games tend not to be spectator friendly games!

The best advice I could give is to watch every episode of TableTop and take notes of everything they do and see what you can implement and what makes their show watchable.

10. Eros

Eros

Very late to this party! Though I would say (depending how the channel is doing 2/3 months after the last post here) with my own experience, just because the channel exists and you might feel is a lot of fun, doesn't mean the audience will come straight away.

Mine for example, I think Iv been uploading (mostly Elite dangerous) videos for 2 ish years. gaming is generally popular on youtube, though typically the number of views for my videos would be in the hundreds. Getting a shout out by someone/company who has lots of followers can give your channel a huge boost and get you noticed.

Happened to me about 2 weeks ago, I got one video promoted by Frontier Developments (makers of Elite) and BAM, my channel went from 25 subscribers to 200, total views from about 10,000 (in 2 years) to nearly 90,000 (in 2 weeks)

Does it mean my content is somehow magically amazing? no, just means I got some notice, and I expect it to die off a little, even though I am still putting out a steady stream of videos

Good luck!

11. Samanthap.

Samanthap. Registered