Last manga you read or bought?

Discussion in 'Mangaphiles' started by Mika., Nov 25, 2009.

1. Afro25

Afro25 My spoon is too big!

Havent read any for a couple of weeks, but the last ones would either be chapter 22 of Elfen Lied or some way through Vol 4 of Gunslinger Girl

2. Kildebaek

Kildebaek Registered

The Drifting Classroom 5 and 6. I like the intense feeling of this series :D

3. Necro

Necro Grim User

Last I read was Evangelion Volume 2. I cant afford to buy a few books at a time, so its bugging me not being able to continue, though I have seen the anime.

4. transanime

transanime Registered

claymore vol 4.had to read the manga after getting it on dvd.

5. Rachel

Rachel Deculture~!

Over the last week I read Battle Angel Alita (the original 9 book arc) and cor it's a good'un.

I've overlooked it on Ross' shelves for years with disinterest, but on a whim I picked it up, liked it and stayed up late devouring it (it's a bad habit). I loved the characters, and the story and art is pretty decent and interesting.

Didn't think I'd be a fan of the gritty cyberpunk setting (I got into anime after the 80's generation of Appleseed, Cybercity, Akira etc.) but fell into it quite easily. Everyone still felt very much human, warts and all - a central theme in the story.

I liked Alita, but I don't think I'll bother with the Last Order or whatever it's called, which carries on the story in a different direction 2 books from the end. I've heard it's not that good and I'm quite happy with how it ended and shall be content with that.

6. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

Alita is a stone-cold classic! It's been quite a few years since I last read it. You could check out the Ashen Victor side-story.

[Happosai]

7. Tora-kun

Tora-kun Trying to improve

Partway through A Drifting Life which is a monster 800-page book that follows the life of a manga artist from the 1940s. (it's autobiographical, but Tatasumi changes his own name, lol) It's pretty good and fascinating if you want to know a little about how the manga market funcitoned back in the day.

Also read both volumes of A Distant Neighbourhood. I find some of Taniguchi's stories to be a little too steady paced, but this one got the balance right. :)

Other stuff I've read recently - DMC 3 (wrong, but really funny), One Piece 1-3 (silly fun), Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei (too self-aware, Welcome to NHK is better imo), and a random volume of Ranma 1/2 I found cheap. :3

I struggle to find time for anime - but there's always room for more manga! :D

8. Rachel

Rachel Deculture~!

Re-read it! :3

Ashen Victor side-story: Is that part of Last Orders, or an independant book(s)?

9. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

Yeah, will get around to it soon...!

AV's a separate side-story to LO and takes place before the main Alita story (doesn't actually feature Alita).

[Happosai]

10. trav

trav Moderrific

Been reading Ichiroh! recently. Basically Azumanga but in a prep school with people that are possibily more insane.

It is a very good laugh.

11. Genjuro

Genjuro Registered

I'm halfway through Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service 5, which i'm enjoying. Other than that the last two i read were reissues i missed the first time round, Yotsuba&! volume 6 and Silent Mobius volume 1, both of which were great.

I'm going to check out that Ichiroh though Trav, sounds like my sort of thing.

12. Tora-kun

Read volume 1 of Fist of the Blue Sky. It's a spin off from the North Star series, but it retains the same cheezy/naff vibe that I like from it. Shame Raijin stopped releasing in the west, I could've gone for more (and Baki the Grappler for that matter).

Not manga, but I just got The Art of My Neighbour Totoro art booky, so will be absorbing that for the next few days. :)

13. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

I've been reading more Rosario + Vampire - shot straight through vols 2-5, so bought 6-9 on Saturday. Enjoying it far more than I thought I would, its very more-ish.

14. Necro

Necro Grim User

Im tempted to buy Rosario, I like the anime.
    Been reading Lucky Star volumme 3, then I have 4 to read.
    And still awaiting volume 1 of Hayate no Gotoku so I can start reading it (I have 2 and 3 already) and also waiting for Chobits 4.

15. Tora-kun

Halfway through volume 9 of Barefoot Gen - only one more volume after this! It's known mainly for the Hiroshima bombing scenes, but that it goes after the event has been really interesting to read about (this volume is set in 1950/1).

I've really enjoyed the whole saga to this point, so will probably be a little sad when it ends. :)

16. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

Coincidentally, I just finished Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms, another a manga related to the Hiroshima bombing. Needless to say there are some genuinely tearjerking moments but it's all done in a lighthearted and thoughtful way that somehow gives you a warm hopeful feeling by the end. There are one or two disturbing scenes but it's one of those must-read titles - not just because of the historical significance but the way the material is handled.

17. Necro

Necro Grim User

Finished Lucky Star 3 and Hayate no Gotoku 1. Currently reading Volume 2 and going to start volume 4 of Lucky Star :)

18. Tora-kun

Agreed, it's a real good'un. :) I get what you mean about how the material's handled. Barefoot Gen's very angry at its core, whereas Town takes a more indirect approach.

I'm tempted to try out Lucky Star one of these days. Maybe I should got the anime first though (as I hear rumours of its coming...).

19. Genjuro

Genjuro Registered

Recently read the first 3 volumes of 20th Century Boys and am really enjoying it so far. I didn't know what to expect and picked it up on a whim but its an interesting story, looking forward to getting some more.

20. Necro

Necro Grim User

They are pretty much the same, bar a few differences. The manga actually sells its self on the back as something for people who want to relax and need refreshing.
    get it :)