Last manga you read or bought?

Discussion in 'Mangaphiles' started by Mika., Nov 25, 2009.

1. Tora-kun

Tora-kun Trying to improve

Agreed on Pluto, it's great stuff. I think that it's relatively short works in its favour.

Just read Case Closed 28. I thought I was doing well with this series, and then noticed that volume 68 just came out in Japan... =_=; I do enjoy it though. There's little hope of you being able to predict the mysteries, so you just go with the flow.

2. Necro

Necro Grim User

Finished Ichiroh! Vol.1 and ordered Volume 2 :D
    Also found Lucky Star Vol.4 hiding under a stack of printer paper. :/ So I finished that.
    Also ordered haruhi 6 and finally got round to ordering Volume 4 of Hidamari Sketch.
    Woo.

3. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

Finished What a Wonderful World! by Inio Asano. The structure makes it hard for any of the story arcs to gain momentum or develop very far, but as a series of sketches that show *real life* at its most bittersweet, absurd and moving, it's brilliant. He's possibly my favourite graphic novelist right now.

4. Kildebaek

Kildebaek Registered

Gantz 10. I liked this volume a lot, because it wasn't only about violence and bewbs this time. I felt like I got closer to Kei. 33 percent of this volume was also about a new character who I'm sure Kei will meet again in volume 11 or a bit later.

5. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

Just finished Samurai Harem. I know harem style manga are common, but few are so literal about their title.

Expect a review soon!

6. !!!

!!! shoooooooooot

Kaichou wa Maid-sama!

So the anime is good, but the manga is great :D.

Ok, I a big girl at heart, but it's so well written.

7. Necro

Necro Grim User

I was intending on picking them up after enjoying the anime so much.

The Hitohira volumes I bought off Trav came today, so I intend on starting them properly soon. I read the first chapter and the story seems nice. Very good artwork aswell.

8. kennedy22492

kennedy22492 Registered

Currently reading the first volume of Kimi ni Todoke, after finishing off Genshiken's final volume.

9. st_owly

st_owly Registered

Just bought Natsume Yuujinchou 3 today... Looking forward to reading it :) I hope the anime gets released over here soon

10. Necro

Necro Grim User

Still reading Hitohira and started Hidamari Sketch 4 (finally!).
    Finished Ichiroh 2, was good, much like the first.

Have Haruhi volume 6 in the post :)

11. Tora-kun

I've recently hit on a batch of Hellsing manga in a charity shop, so have been working my way through. It's really good. Completely batshit crazy, but yeah... really good. ^_^

Also just finished volume 3 of Black Jack which was cool, and Nana 21 which was good but heavy stuff. Yazawa went ill soon after this volume came out in Japan I think, so 22 won't be out for a while, if ever... (get well soon!)

Can we talk about non-manga here, or should that go into the normal books thread? I jumped on the bandwagon and started reading Scott Pilgrim. Pretty good, the dialogue flows really well and is quite fun.

12. Overlord Ramirez

Overlord Ramirez Edajima Heihachi's Pupil

just got through the 3rd volume of Cage of Eden, its like the first season of Lost but with and island filled with extint creatures from all across time.

13. Kildebaek

Kildebaek Registered

Gantz 11 and Children of the Sea 3.
    Not much happened in Gantz 11 and Children of the Sea has started to be a bit boring :C

14. Tora-kun

Reviving this shizzle...

Finished reading Cross Game 1 last night. I've been a fan of Adachi's Short Program for a while, and this is just as good. That he makes an everyday kind of story feel so natural is amazing. Nice setup, characters I enjoy reading about and how they interact. Thumb up all round! :D

Also reading Chi's New Home as it's just fun. Chi's a cute kitten but also a dumbass which saves it from being overy sweet. (it somehow runs in a seinin magazine in Japan o_0;)

Finally Natsume's Book of Friends. Up to volume 3 so far. It's all self-contained chapters about a boy who meets yokai and their various situaitonsm but it's somewhat melancholic atmopshere makes it work. It's gentle, but has with a definite sense of danger at times.

15. Hollow Riddles

Hollow Riddles Registered

Started reading Claymore. After watching the anime, kinda fell in love with it but was dissapointed with the ending, I heard the manga is slighlty differnt and continues so thought I would buy a load of volumes.

16. SUPERFISH5000

SUPERFISH5000 Church of Pancake

Just finished Dojin Work Vols 1 - 4 and Crayon Shinchan vol 1 - 10,
    Only 4 vols of dojin work released in english, kinda sucks since it looks like there are 6 in total :(

17. Tora-kun

I loved reading Dojin Work, really funny stuff. ^_^ Bought the anime to help fill the gap. It's good, but the original's where it's really at imo.

Only other thing I've read recently is Sgt. Frog 18. It's still marching on, and yeah it's still fun (and the artwork is shiny).

18. Robert Frazer

Robert Frazer Registered

I've recently wrapped on Yuji Iwahara's Cat Paradise. I've always enjoyed Iwahara's idiosyncratic art style, which keeps the vigorous spirit of shonen mangas while still retaining a good density of detail and avoiding vapid blank space, and he succeeds in that here too. However, while it did keep me following it to the end Cat Paradise really failed to move me. The setting was rather too obviously anime-bait (something he admits himself in the end matter - I was sure whether to call it self-deprecatory of cynical), and while usually paciness and plot are considered positive traits, in this case I think that it suffered from a surfeit of both. It crammed too much into a confined space - scarcely has the setting been introduced than we're being dragged into the final battle, and it's rather bewildering. The denouement was also fumbled with many characters suddenly taking on an abrupt change of heart which seemed contrived. Altogether then, it's a manga with unrealised potential - still decent, but it could have been more than it was.

#78 Robert Frazer, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  19. Rin

Rin Registered

Kimi ni todoke 2 & 3

The teacher is so weird lol

So far it's better than quite a few of the shojo titles I've read in the past.

20. Tora-kun

Uzumaki 1-3 Some really nice horror stories about a town becoming possessed by a spiral. A couple chapters are genuinely disturbing, hard to do in a comic, and you can tell from the afterwards that the artist had a blast working on it.

The final voume goes into a longer story which wasn't quite as good imo, but events have gone so far off the deep end by that point it's worth seeing through. :)