Last manga you read or bought?

Discussion in 'Mangaphiles' started by Mika., Nov 25, 2009.

1. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

Bakuman, which I'll be reviewing shortly if I'm not beaten to it.

I've also polished off Sumomo Momomo 5&6, which is currently my favourite manga.

2. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

3. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

It's an absolutely mental but genius piece of Lovecraft-ian horror. Also recommended, although not *quite* as good in my opinion, is Ito's other major work Gyo. All you need to know is this: Fish with legs. FISH WITH LEGS. :shock:

4. Tora-kun

Tora-kun Trying to improve

I've been eyeing it up, thanks for the recommendation. :)

I read Bakuman. It's really good, although I'm guess a lot of the industrial insights need to be taken with a pinch of salt, lol. Also reading Toriko as it's completely OTT and weird in an early-days Akira Toriyama kind of way. Currently on volume 3 of Chi's Sweet Home. If you like cats then this is a good one. :)

5. Robert Frazer

Robert Frazer Registered

Apologies for striking a cynical tone, but I gather the distinct impression that Bakuman is popular because a lot of starry-eyed young teenagers are seizing hold of it and revering it as a manual for breaking into the "manga industry". Good luck to 'em - it's good to see inspiration and I hope they stick it out - but they should know that if Rome was not built in a day, then certainly neither was comics stardom!

6. Tora-kun

Bakuman 7 - if there's any manga I read specifically for the writing, it's this one.

Also carving my way through Case Closed. It's insanely long, but the characters are good and the crimes are still fun even after so many volumes (even though they're impossible to solve from the reader's end, lol).

Any chance this thread could be stickied please? Took a while to find it and am sure people will use it. *puppy eyes*

7. Dark Hearted Disco Queen

I read all of Doubt!! this weekend, sprawled out in the sun (surely one of the best ways of reading manga?) I like reading shojo, but so often I wish the heroine would tell the love interest to get stuffed and this was one of those- I'm never really keen on unhealthy relationships when they get portrayed as normal or romantic. I finished it and started on Ayako which is really great so far- I love one offs that I don't have to worry about collecting tons of books and giving up on half way through :p

8. Tora-kun

Been reading Dragon Ball lately. It's interesting to see what was originally a comedy manga evolve into the fighting series it's more well known as. Halfway through the final volume (16), and then it's off into the land of 'Z'!

Interested to check out Toriyama's eariler Dr. Slump as well, although some of the volumes are hard to find now...

9. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

I read the third volume of Railgun last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Solid series so far.

Plan to read the remaining volumes of Sumomomo this weekend to catch up on that. Such a great series, I've been putting until I have time to properly absorb it!

Oh, and not manga but the Transformers: More than meets the eye series from IDW is fan-fricking-tastic. Finally TF comics are good again.

10. Danzaivers Return

Danzaivers Return Registered

How is the Railgun manga? Is it a good partner to the anime? Iv'e watched/read neither and want to know what's the best way to get into it.

Iv'e just read Toriko 2, This series is just so much fun i really enjoy it, the art isn't too bad and the monsters look really imaginative.

11. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

The Railgun manga and anime are pretty much equivalent in terms of quality and story-telling I'd say, so I think you'll be happy with whichever you use as your starting point (although the manga is the original work, of course).

12. Danzaivers Return

Danzaivers Return Registered

Oh really? That's pretty cool then, Usually it's one or the other when it comes to shows like that, Good to know that i can start at either and get a good experience then, thank you!

13. SUPERFISH5000

SUPERFISH5000 Church of Pancake

I had a power cut for 5 hours today after we had a foot of snowfall last night. I had to take my motorbike home (30 mile trip) in the snow as it was starting; not fun.

Anyway it gave me time to finish off a manga that's been sitting for a while - Ode to Kirihito by Tezuka.

Really well drawn and a pretty engaging story to boot; also takes a while to get through as it's over 800 pages :)

14. Tora-kun

Just finished a complete runthrough of Dragonball and Dragonball Z which was the first time I've been able to see the whole story. When it comes to insane bouts of levelling up this is hard to beat! *blows up planet* o_0;

15. DustyShinigami

DustyShinigami Registered

Finished 20th Century Boys, Vol. 5 the other day... I think volume 6 has arrived today!

16. HATCHA

HATCHA Guest

Finished Sanctuary volume 6, i've never been so blown away with a series, it's even better then 20thCB. Must recommend this to anyone and everyone.

17. SUPERFISH5000

SUPERFISH5000 Church of Pancake

Always wanted to try Sanctuary; the cost for some of the volumes is a little prohibitve now though. But hey; maybe if I pick it up cheap on eBay ^__^

18. Tora-kun

Read a couple volumes of Slam Dunk last night. After Real and then Vagabond I've become quite a big Inoue fan. Good stuff. :3

19. HATCHA

HATCHA Guest

This is exactly what I did. Kept an eye out on ebay for a number of months and eventually managed to pick up the whole set for about 9 a volume in near mint condition. They pop up on ebay regularly, but the prices are usually a little crazy, but if you're patient you'll almost definitely get them at a reasonable price eventually.

20. donmurray29

donmurray29 Registered

Reading Devil and her Love Song, Rosario Vampire, Black God. Waiting for Empowered vol 7.