Last manga you read or bought?

Discussion in 'Mangaphiles' started by Mika., Nov 25, 2009.

1. Tora-kun

Tora-kun Trying to improve

Read some Tenjo Tenge (Viz edition). It's making less sense as it goes on, but the sense of humour is still intact and the art's amazing once you get through the first couple of volumes. Violence levels are pretty savage though so consider that fair warning lol.

2. AntAskew

AntAskew Registered

Reading a lot of Naoki Urasawa stuff at the moment. I'm in love with his style, page after page of twists and turns!!

3. aamm

aamm Obscure is fun :P

donmurry29 - What's Empowered about? I couldn't find any info when I searched for it.

Meanwhile what I'm reading at the mo is Psychometrer Eiji.

#103 aamm, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  4. Skully

Skully Registered

Finished of Holyland! and caught up on Shamo after its hiatus due to legal reasons.

5. Necro

Necro Grim User

Read volumes 7 and 8 of Sumomo Momomomo. I forgot how entertaining it is; really need to get more quick!

6. Tora-kun

Nearing the end of Yakitate Japan. It's had it's ups and downs, but it's been a pretty surreal journey lol. (for anyone who doesn't know it it's a comedy manga about baking bread ^^;)

7. AnimeGamerChris

AnimeGamerChris Registered

8. rjessop

rjessop Registered

Twin Spica 1 through 9 of 12. A charming, story-driven manga about kids training to be astronauts in the near future. Some of the drama is overwrought but it's enjoyable none the less.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 1 through 4 of 12. A satirical tale about a suicidal teacher and his class of weirdos. The premise is fun and the characters/situations are often enjoyably funny. I found it was let down by the topical and obscure social commentary, that is (understandably) out of date and pretty long-winded.

Bunny Drop volume 5 of ? (I would google it, but I've been warned about massive spoilers in unexpected places). This latest volume takes place after a substantial time skip which changes the relationships somewhat. The core appeal of the series remains though and it's still good.

9. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Recently finished the Aria manga, which has delivered me great happiness, as well as tears as the final volume ended. Such a truly beautiful and uplifting piece of work.

Currently working my way through the Second Season of the Rosario to Vampire mangas, being brought to me by the good chaps at Amazon, as well as Sekirei and To Love Ru. Both of which are proving to be delightfully ecchi :D

10. Tora-kun

Read a little Berserk. Only just getting into the material beyond that covered in the anime... it's nuts! o_0;

Today I'm going through the latest volume of Excel Saga (that'd be 23). By this point things are so fubar I'd struggle to explain what's going on. I'll just say it's good and is still funny. :)

11. Tora-kun

Risking infinite shelf space and financial ruin I've started reading One Piece. Takes a while to get going imo, but yeah... it's good. (dammit!)

12. monkeywonder

monkeywonder Registered

I picked up One Piece to try reading in Japanese (partly because they only had three or four titles in the shop, but mostly because pirates!) - I haven't gotten very far yet :oops: but I quite like it :oops:

13. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

I finished Is this a zombie and am now working my way through 8 volumes of Rosario + Vampire - thanks to Hanners for organising this ^___^

14. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

What did you make of volume one out of interest?

15. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

I agree with you for the most part. The setup for book 2 added some interest, but it seemed a bit lame for my tastes. It's yet another harem comedy featuring a bunch of stereotypes, and while I found the ninja quite amusing, the rest were pretty feeble.

I like the artwork (though the artist can't draw feet) but it's not a series I'm going to heavily invest in.

That said, I can see an audience for it; it just doesn't include 33 year old males. Frankly I'd be a bit embarrassed if someone found it on my shelf at my age. It's one of the reasons I'm having a clear-out (plug) :)

16. Jetsam

Jetsam Panda Up A Ladder (TM)

Has anyone read chapter 1 of Shonen Jump's Assassination Classroom yet?

Synopsis:

The failing students of class 3-E have a mission: kill their teacher before graduation. He has already destroyed much of the moon, turning it into an eternal crescent, and has promised to destroy the Earth if he can not be killed within a year by his students. But how can this class of misfits kill a tentacled monster, capable of reaching Mach 20 speed, who may be the best teacher any of them have ever had?

This is quite an original take on multiple stale genres and it looks promising. I like the humour and the setup is explained well enough not to appear contrived (which is itself remarkable). Hopefully it can find its own voice and steer past the typical school setting templates that have diluted the current market (I'm looking at you "It's summer. Let's all go to the beach"!). I like the monster's ambiguous smiling face, only partly because it reminds me of Ryuk, and it carries something of a Battle Royale vibe, which can only be a good thing.

17. FanSup

FanSup Registered

Case Closed Chap 825
    Kimi ni todoke Chap 70

Don't remember which one I read first though xD

18. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

I really need to start reading Kimi ni Todoke again - I stopped after the second volume due to lack of time, but would love to get back into it.

(Oh, and welcome to the forum by the way!)

#118 Hanners, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  19. FanSup

FanSup Registered

Woo thank you :) OuO
    I actually picked up Kimi ni Todoke just a few weeks ago. I read some chapters before but dropped it because the arts weren't the finest I've seen (I'm very critical about arts o.o)
    But the second I picked it up (due to boredom, oops) I found the plot to be really interesting and that just outweighs the art part.

20. Tora-kun

Hopping between a couple things atm. Currently reading Sunshine Sketch 5 which is good enough. It's difficult to comment further due to lack of genuine content, but the vibe is light and friendly and nothing's too strenuous. :)

Also partway through Apollo's Song which is one of Tezuka more 'out there' titles. So long as you can suspend disbelief this is really good stuff. In a nutshell it's about a guy who hates love (violently so) and and in an attempt to psychologically correct him he is made to have dreams experiencing love and tragedy. It mixes sci-fi and mythology so basically you can't predict where things will go. Looking forward to finishing it off.