Let's talk about...random things!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by -Danielle-, Dec 1, 2014.

1. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

In more ways than one.... ;)

2. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Mostly due to the way you belch...

3. demon

demon Registered

I'm going to be on dinosaur download for a few days as my internet crapped out yesterday and I'm down to 6Mb/s until they fix the issue on the line.

4. macloud

macloud 5qw34k!!

After finally caving (and getting it at a price i can afford) im gonna get broadband and was looking at getting a streaming service sub as well (more choice, less ads) but with the recent podcast casting less than positive views on Netflix i was looking for pros and cons for the various (non anime mind) streaming services.

5. Necro

Necro Grim User

Prime is OK. choice is varied but missing some of the bigger TV show names. Added benefit of prime delivery and shit like that.
    Netflix is a good service but again, some things you expect to be aren't there. The exclusives are generally pretty good, like Bojack and Better Call Saul

Only two I've used. Content wise I'd lean towards netflix, but Prime is good if you don't care too much about what you're watching and also use amazon to buy everything.

6. Cell

Cell Ye ragin', aye?

7. ic

ic Registered

Netflix has Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, which is a cracking horror series based on ye old Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

Bojack is good too but with my general depression it's not a good thing for to watch .

8. ic

ic Registered

So got my new motherboard cpu and memory installed today (err, yesterday. Friday). Which meant shifting my computer out from under my desk (after taking the hard drive out just to be safe) and after taking out the old gave it a good clean.

Then I made such a noob mistake. I put the heatsink/fan on the wrong way. So I blocked the ram slots. Urgh… so had to remove the whole thing, and after a brief bit of panic over thinking that I just destroyed my new cpu before even using it (and cutting my fingers on the packaging of my thermal paste. Thank goodness I had that, and that it came with a wipe to clean the old paste off) I got it installed properly.

So now I have a Ryzen toting computer! Did some benchmarking and Geekbench showed a very nice improvement, especially in the multicore score. YouTube now works at 1080p with no frame drops (well I did get 2 while testing, but I had to make them drop by doing a lot of messing around), since Google can't be arsed to activate GPU acceleration in the Linux version of Chrome/Chromium so CPU is used. And Doom no longer has the weird micro stutters I noticed before.

Would like to see if Cities Skylines is improved, since that's rather CPU dependent. Though The Talos Principle takes up most of my PC gaming time right now, and that ran nearly perfectly on medium settings with v-sync on and a 60 fps cap. Should get rid of the odd minor frame rate drop though.

So from an A8-7650K, with 16Gb DDR 3 ram to a Ryzen 3 2200g with 16 Gb DDR 4 ram. Still using the RX-560 though I did try out the integrated Vega 8 graphics briefly when I tested the system out before plugging the the 560 and moving it back to my desk.

#2888 ic, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  9. Eros

Eros

I recently moved from Vancouver to a smallish City in Ontario called Sudbury. Its where one of the deepest underground physics labs in the world is located. I had to relocate my computer, which I had already relocated via a flight from the UK to Vancouver.

Anyway, I got my PC packed up and sent via post, insured etc. Well, ill say that the PC made it, though clearly had been dropped. The CPU cooler had some wiggle because the two mounting brackets are just pressed metal, so are more flexable than you might think, and the GPU had freed itself from the PCI-e slot along with it clamp. Needless to say I was rather pissed. I had packed it very well however so it meant that despite all that, it was still held rather firm and not allowed to bang around and scrape things.

After a little bit of assembly and reassembly, bending of metal, i can report that it survived all well and good. SO despite coolers sometimes feeling like they are going to smash a CPU, I can definitely confirm that they are more robust than you might expect

10. Cell

Cell Ye ragin', aye?

Man, shopping over the Christmas period is incredibly frustrating.

11. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

Sorry I haven't been on much lately, I've not really had much time for Forums/Facebook/Anything,

I think I've posted less than a dozen times over the last few months on here -_-

Feel free to add me on twitter if you want to keep in touch... Don't worry, I'm not leaving here, I'm just more active elsewhere due to life :reasons: :reasons: :reasons: at the moment :/

Twitter can be found in my profile, locked to members only just to keep it somewhat private

12. ic

ic Registered

Managed to accidentally grope a coworkers arse last shift, so that was the closest I've been to any physical with another human being in a while…

13. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

Merry Christmas folks!

14. Tweek

Tweek Registered

Merry Christmas to you too... and to everybody else :)

15. Shadow Cat

Merry Christmas

16. Cell

Cell Ye ragin', aye?

Belated merry Christmas, hope you didn't get too drunk.

17. Shadow Cat

Happy New Year everyone :)

18. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

19. J.Akorah

J.Akorah Member

Happy New Year!!!

20. -Danielle-

-Danielle- Whore dollas all over the place...

I'm just looking forward till 2nd March.

We got a 2319! #monstersinc