Let's talk about...random things!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by -Danielle-, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

Its more of the issue of not knowing anyone for the past 2 years who can countersign. Mostly because my social presance in society is non-existant at this point lol

I'll just have to stick with my job for the next 18 or soo months and get HR to sign it

I wouldn't be too bothered. But I've already chucked down 70 odd as I did it online and wasn't aware of the 2 year bit. I was hoping the head of HR would be able to countersign as its pretty damn obvious she knows who I am. Because if she didn't, then I wouldn't be working

Stuped requirements stopping uk citz getting passports

#21 Shadow Cat, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  2. Necro

Necro Grim User

Honestly, are they going to check the person who signs it other than maybe their profession? Who cares if you don't know them or haven't for 2 years; lie, it's literally impossible for anyone to find out.

3. megalomaniac

It says they have to have known you for at least two years, not for the last two years. That's an important distinction. Unless you're two years old that should be a pretty big pool of people: There must be a family friend/acquaintance, school teacher, university lecturer or something like that.

I suspect you're taking "known you personally" a little too strictly too, it could be the guy who lives down the road or the retired civil servant that one of your parents chats to in the supermarket or.... Well you get the idea. It's basically only to ascertain you are who you say you are, that's all.

#23 megalomaniac, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  4. megalomaniac

Apart from the fact you posted it on the web ;) - As I understand it they check them at random, so they might get a call to double check but chances are it won't be looked at that closely.

5. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

I have had a call once or twice asking for a referral. It does happen, just not that often. Though more frequently since they brought in the longer checks at the passport offices.

6. Weirdo

Staff Member

On another note, I got another four letters after my name today, thanks to the Engineering Council accepting registration. CEng MICE

:D

A very happy day indeed!

7. Necro

Necro Grim User

Because a random post on the internet is easily linked to a passport application :p

Congrats on becoming a mouse! What does it mean? :p

8. megalomaniac

Congrats Seb!

You haven't been following the Snowden revelations have you ;)

9. megalomaniac

It means he gets a golden glow, and to associate with a resurrected teenage hooker turned super-solder and angel of vengeance/justice....probably.

Oh, and he gets to make lots of ridiculous egg references...

10. Weirdo

Staff Member

So many egg references...

Means I am registered now with the Engineering Council, after paying an eyewatering sum, as a Chartered Engineer. Does mean now I can practice anywhere in the world... and I just might :)

11. Necro

Necro Grim User

Good times then.

I've kept an eye on things, but pretending you know someone better than you do is hardly on par with releasing thousands of government secrets is it :p And if it is, we should follow his example anyway ;)

12. Weirdo

Staff Member

I remember an arguement on here following a con thread where we met up. Mobile phone numbers were posted on the forum, and these magically got trawled by yahoo and google spiders, and were then spammed.

Lessons were learnt. Never assume anything on forums is secret. Robots can reap all the text direct from websites in no time flat.

13. Shadow Cat

Anyone got any recomendations for packing stuff for a house move?

I'm just thinking double ply box, bubble wrap in bottom, wrap stuff with kitchen roll, bubble wrap on top and write Fragile

14. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

Off the top of my head:

Bubble wrap and tissue paper are perfect for fragile stuff, but I'd strongly recommend smaller boxes for books (e.g. somewhere between a foot and one and a half feet long). It will require more boxes and trips to and from the van, but it saves the problem of the bottoms falling out of boxes or being unable to lift them at all.

If stuff's getting stored in a garage or shed for long periods of time, plastic crates might be better than cardboard, to stop moisture getting to whatever's inside (along with the damp smell that comes with it).

15. Shadow Cat

Although seeing peoples misfortune of boxes opening while carrying,,, probably not something I want ;)

well, I've ordered 20 double ply 18x12x12 boxes,
    about 2000 sheets of acid free tissue paper,
    roll of bubble wrap and a few rolls of tape.

And I've managed to get hold of my manager who has put half a dozen 16x12x14 double ply box's in the staff room at work :D

Sorted

Now I need to find a van, a skip, and a orbital sander

16. Weirdo

Staff Member

When I moved from my flat I went through 5 24x24x24, 10 18x18x18 and 10 12x12x12 boxes. Had a load of plastic boxes which I reused, and went through at least three rolls of blubber wrap.

Vans are easy, 50 a day :)

FYI, if you donate loads of stuff to like Emmaus, they will help you pack and clean up. Basically homeless people, donate enough and they will help you back. Figured this out when I dropped off my old bed and loads of dead stuff back in August last year.

17. Shadow Cat

Packings going,,, Meh... Depressing

------------

Any suggestions what to get a nan and dad for xmas :)

18. Weirdo

Staff Member

Well, my nan is getting a flowercard for christmas.

My dad got a terrible Falkland Island hoodie :)

19. Shadow Cat

I fear that might not work for me

20. Shadow Cat

I haven't posted a random image in a while...

(Mayu - Vocaloid)

[​IMG]