Let's talk about...random things!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by -Danielle-, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Necro

Necro Grim User

I need to clean too, my parents are coming on Sunday and my room is a bomb site of boxes and bottles. Plus I'm busy tomorrow and Saturday :(

2. Mormegil

Mormegil 12professions 13accidents

gasoline

3. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

Soo... New think! Campain

I think its funking awful. If drugs do get people paranoid, I don't see how hyping the paranoia helps

https://youtu.be/F8Wy-4YR340

4. Shadow Cat

On unrelated news

Parcelforce and Customs are starting to annoy me.

I imported a parcel of 29000 jpy and got charged 49 for it.

Import tax is 20%,

So 29000 jpy to gbp = 170
    20% of 170 = 34

So where did they get 49?

5. Gemsy-chan

Gemsy-chan Resident Fujoshi

ParcelForce add 12 handling fee but that still doesn't come to 49.

6. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Don't get me started on Parcelfarce.

The bastards are indeed responsible for holding my Japan parcel in the UK, and NOT delivering it to the Falklands either via Military or via commercial flights. They sat on it, then returned it to AmiAmi in Japan with "Unknown reason" on the return reason.

So, AmiAmi are rightly, initially charging me another 8800 Yen for EMS.

The fight is now that I have paid for delivery once, and have not received the service I paid for under the UK (and Falklands) Sale of Goods and Services. Yes, an intermediary is involved, but their company, given that all shipping details are correct, should claim via Japan Post's insurance for the delivery fee to resend it, unless there is a reason why it was returned. And tbh, who knows. I instructed them to open the parcel to look for customs or other reasons, but we shall see.

So for now, my Eris Neko Nabe STILL hasn't arrived.

I am also loathed to send it to the UK cause of the customs charge. I can't exactly pay it right now :p

7. Shadow Cat

Sorry, 49 + handling fee. (Think it was 15 handling. Will check later)

8. Gemsy-chan

Gemsy-chan Resident Fujoshi

That makes even less sense and if its 15 for handling fee then its gone up. Hence why i try and choose a delivery method that won't go through PF.

If i was you i would query if they have calculated it wrong. I know someone who they tried to charge the wrong amount because they thought the total in yen was actually pounds and tried to charge then hundreds of pounds in customs.

9. Shadow Cat

Don't worry sempai, no one will get between us,,, ever again

[​IMG]

10. Shadow Cat

Hospital waiting times.... URGH

Urgh I tell ye

11. -Danielle-

-Danielle- Whore dollas all over the place...

Yeah I hate charges which is why HLJ no longer get my custom sadly. Can't pay more for customs charges than I did on what I purchased. Cannot justify.

I'm on day 3 of a headache. I get these every month, sometimes every other month. They suck. I need to do Insanity and the idea of jumping up down left right all over with this headache is too much to think of but so is not exercising. Waaah :(

Giving mama an ok mothers day. She got breakfast made, pots washed, flowers and a top. Going to remain in slave mode to make more food, drinks and clean pots. With her atm whilst she watches her tv shows :)

Hows everyone elses mamas enjoying mothers day?

12. Weirdo

Staff Member

No mothers day for me here. We don't exactly do it in my family, but ill give her a skype in a little bit.

As all my posts in this particular thread turn into a rant, I shall continue the tradition.

This one is probably hard for people to identify with, but I am here on this godforsaken rock and I am responsible for the roads maintenance and in charge of the roads dept. Hard to imagine, but for a place with only 2000 or so people, there is over 1000km of road, most of it going to farms, and 98% of it is basically gravel. It takes 4 gangs of people (10 - 12) 6 months each year to compact the roads, grade them to remove potholes and loose stone, and make them safe after winter and bad weather.

This year, I have had masses of resignations, forcing me to run a department that is 60% staffed, but with only 1.5 (1 + trainee) people who actually know how to drive the plant to grade the roads. I am basically stuffed. I have moved people from other critical jobs and done what I can to make things as safe as possible.

Problem with such a small place is that everyone knows me, and I pretty much know everyone. About a month ago a close friend almost died when her idiotic driver braked on a particularly bad corner, and rolled his Landrover 110, crushing the roof. Everyone got out alive, but jesus, I am not sure how. This morning I heard that another couple of friends barely made it home alive after rolling a Mitusbishi Pajero on a bad corner. Both of these bits of the network I haven't been able to maintain cause of lack of staff.

Hands are tied from above. I cannot retain personnel as they won't pay enough to keep them. I cannot make counter offers for pay to negotiate pay rises. And I honestly cannot maintain the roads. Every accident I hear about just whacks another nail into my already full plank of guilt.

Not sure I can keep this up. Even worse when its constant accusations in the pubs, and on the public forum that is Facebook demanding we do more. I can't. I am honestly wondering how many people have to die before my higher ups redirect funding to actually give, not me, but the person to follow me, some power to retain staff. Its soul crushing. Its even worse when those above just pour the blame onto me and my department. ****ed from both goddamn ends.

So, tomorrow I am going to hand in my 6 month notice for the end of my contract, and I will be back in the UK. Selfish, but anonymity has its benefits, and quite frankly, all the responsibility won't fall on my shoulders.

</rant>

13. Morgs

Morgs Registered

Wow, that sounds rough! I don't think anyone could blame you for wanting to leave/move department or what not. Also your post reminded me of them log books you find in games like dead space or bioshock

14. Morgs

Morgs Registered

I can't believe Sora Amamiya is the voice actress for both Toka Kirishima from Tokyo Ghoul and Asseylum hime from Aldnoah Zero. They sound nothing alike.......

15. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

When a situation is that ****ed, getting out is the only option. All power to you!

16. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

Which, as our skype convos have covered before, neatly sums up why I'm leaving the NHS so I totally understand the feelings of frustration, disillusion and even guilt. There are so many good people, but it isn't enough to change things and turn a broken system around. No matter how hard you try you can't make enough of a difference to make it feel worthwhile, which sucks. The only recourse really is to say "I've done my time" when the contract's up and do something else. I've had the "what if I'm a rat jumping a sinking ship?" guilt feeling, but no good would come of you staying either.

As for national YOUR MUM day, I'm lucky enough to live close to my family so we were all able to do a surprise family meal at a nearby restaurant. It's the first time since Christmas that we were able to get together, which was a lot of fun.

17. rjessop

rjessop Registered

Seeing as this is turning into a general whining thread; here I go :)

My lodger has just moved out. My policy is to respect my lodgers privacy, so I don't do room inspections or anything like that, which seems to have turned out to be a mistake. I pulled the bed away from the wall to clean underneath it to find a square metre of mouldy carpet in the corner, complete with a rotten skirting board and bed post. It's probably just condensation that built up that caused it (no pipes nearby), but I cannot believe that he didn't notice the smell!

Now then, to try and get the carpet cleaned, or to rip it out and start again? Quite tempted by the latter...

18. megalomaniac

We have a rather good carpet cleaner if you want to give it a try, but suspect it might need replacing by the sounds of that.

19. Shadow Cat

You might just want to rip it up anyway, just to make sure there isn't anything bad underneath :)

Carpets pretty cheap and a new lodger will be happier with a new carpet :D

20. Weirdo

Staff Member

Any build-up of tissues or yoghurt pots?