Read a good book lately?

Discussion in 'Other media' started by Weirdo, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Judder

Judder Sir

Really? I always thought it was an asperger thing and that was why Ezekiel was bothered...

2. anyana

anyana Registered

The Magician's Nephew - C.S. Lewis. It's so brilliant, and I especially love where Aslan sings and Narnia begins, it's beautiful. I think Lewis writes wonderfully, and awww guinea pigs :DDD

Also the Looking Glass Wars are pretty fabulous, but I don't remember who it's by -__-;;

3. Spee

Spee The Aloof One

Frank Beddor.

4. Jetsam

Jetsam Panda Up A Ladder (TM)

Like Primate I too have been reading Dan Brown's 'The Da Vinci Code'. I didn't finish it, I just couldn't. Who the hell told this guy that he could write? If I were his publisher I would have slapped him! :x

'Dime Store Magic' - Kelley Armstrong

A nice modern fantasy book and a step backwards toward the simplicity of her original work of art - 'Bitten'. Now I just need to get through the next one so I can read 'Haunted' which I'm looking forward to because the idea of a dead black witch being told to get an angels sword appeals to me!

5. kei-kun

kei-kun Fueled by Guinness

The boy who kicked pigs by Tom Baker (yes he of dr who.) It;s pretty damn well awesome. :D

6. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Wholesome Pervert

I am a girl.

I don't think that brushing your teeth before eating is a symptom of Aspergers. Suspect the author brushes his teeth then eats breakfast so he made his characters do it. And the fact that you think that sort of thing is dictated by a disorder like that is weird anyway. Surely your parents teach you to brush your teeth right? So the character's Dad simply taught him oddly.

You obviously got the wrong idea about what Aspergers is about and I'm guessing it is from this book - which is another reason it annoys me.

Aspergers simply makes it difficult for you to communicate with people you dont understand facial expressions or sarcasm for example. If doctors catch it early enough [if memory serves the kid was 10ish?] then they can teach parents and other family members all kinds of tricks to working with the child to make life easier. My niece has just turned nine and shes a little hyper and doesnt get sarcasm at all but other than that shes a perfectly normal little girl. It was upsetting to me that the The Curious Dog book portrayed main character as it did, he had a lot of trouble doing simply things and he shouldnt have. Unless it was more of a symptom of his age than his disorder?

If youre interested get your Curious Dog book and look at the character as if this [click] is what he has.

EDIT:
    omg, I love Stardust. Kara bought me the hardback illustrated version when it came out. Get someone you love to read it aloud to you - incredible experience. :D

7. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

8. kei-kun

kei-kun Fueled by Guinness

I thought it was halo?

Oh, comic prose is also a really great book of short stories written by lots of comic book writers.

9. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

I was talking directorial duties (plus he's written the screenplay and will also produce it) -- he's only executive producer for Halo -- but I suppose I should have said that (plus The Lovely Bones was announced quite a while before Halo, but of course it remains to be seen which will come out first). This is all according to IMDB, BTW.

[Happosai]

10. Judder

Judder Sir

Um, I don't want to start an argument but I want to point out two things;
    1. I haven't read the book and
    2. I have Asperger Syndrome, so until it was pointed out that it's normal to brush your teeth after breakfast I always thought it was down the routine I've been going by since I was little.
    Like I said, I don't want to start an argument, I just felt like setting the record straight.

11. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Wholesome Pervert

These seem contradictory to me...

I think we agree that the way you brush your teeth is down to how you were raised or what you decided you preferred in the end rather than being dictated by a condition. So neither is technically 'normal'.

I'm sorry I assumed that what you knew stemmed from the book.

12. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Short history of Nearly Everything - bill Bryson

Excellent toilet reading :D

13. DarkDesigns

DarkDesigns Semper Fidelis

Finishing off Colour of Magic before moving on to more Discworld.

Enjoying Pratchett, and adoring Kerry for dropping the books on me ^_^

14. Cheese

Cheese Stalker

pratchett is really good ^_^ i used to bum his books for ages, i will pick up another one soon enough, my favorties ones are the DEATH ones and any with rincewind....ummmmm

15. jakeblur

jakeblur Registered

I'm absolutely gutted. finished reading Harry potter and the philosophers stone ( read it beacause the books have a lot more detail than the films).

I was going to move onto Thud! by Terry Pratchett. I bought it in Otakers book shop for 9.00 hard back and then left it in the supermarket on the counter still in the bag with the receipt. got home and realised what had happened. Aaaagghh!!

Guess I'll read Wolves of calla By Stephen King instead

16. primate

primate Soul Food

A little book called Endtroducing... by Eliot Wilder in the 33 1/3 series.

Each book is about the making of a classic album and this one is about DJ Shadow's- Endtroducing.
    If like me you are a total junkie for DJ Shadow's music, or if you are just interested in how a record can be made only using a sampler and one hell of a talent, this makes for a fascinating and absorbing read.

17. Thrash

Thrash Made of Metal

Foolishly attempted to read angst-fest Interview with the Vampire. It's bit homoerotic and humourless for me. My girl decided I'd be a better person if I read it, but it turns out I'm just a sadder person.

18. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

I quite enjoyed Interview but only got halfway through The Vampire Lestat before losing interest.

I'm currently re-reading The High Window by Raymond Chandler. It's one of three of his novels in one book that I received as a christmas present. I've read one of the others already (The Lady in the Lake) but not The Little Sister so I'm looking forward to getting to that one. Chandler's writing style is great - really witty and laconic.

19. Am just about to finish Pterry's Mosnterous Regiment (fabulous book! Plenty of good tip sif you ever need to kick someone hard in the sox), and thenw ill be moving on to Part one of a Storm of Swords, as I'mw orking my way through Song of Ice and Fire atm.

20. Cheese

Cheese Stalker

I'm yet to start The Talisman by Steven King and Peter Straub, also i bought Fear and Loatihng in Los Vegas becasue i've always wanted to read it.