Read a good book lately?

Discussion in 'Other media' started by Weirdo, Nov 10, 2005.

1. primate

primate Soul Food

Exactly the same scenario with me when the film came out. I'm with Van Helsing when it comes to vampires.

You guys are reminding me how far behind I'm slipping with the works of Terry Pratchett though. I'm only up to The Last Hero & I haven't read the Mac-Nac-Feegle books either. The last one I finished was the 'Marvelous Rodents' book, which is one of his very best imho.

2. Endangerd Human

Endangerd Human Play nice

Spot The Dog.

I read it to a toddler, honest!

3. Cheese

Cheese Stalker

Respect ;)

4. Eros

Eros

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein

Totally fabulous from start to finish, why they ever made such comparibly awful movies from such a good book is beyond me.

5. 2theMoon

2theMoon Old Skool man.

The Holy Bible by God, I think. :lol:

Seriously though, I thought it best to do my research rather than wading in ranting and raving.
    Am still on Genesis but man, the almighty is a tough bastard, tricking Abraham and Issac. The bloke's a menace ;)

#45 2theMoon, Feb 7, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  6. Cheese

Cheese Stalker

It is actully a pretty good book if you look at it as a narrative

7. Eros

Eros

grab a copy of William Bramely's Gods of Eden... read that - ignore the alien parts and it gives you a picture of how truly fucked up the various bible stories are.

8. 2theMoon

2theMoon Old Skool man.

Noted.

9. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Wholesome Pervert

I'm reading the Poseidon Adventure by Paul Gallico. Am having troubles because if I like book more than the film I will be upset cause I've loved the film for many many years.

[spoilers]
    The weirdest bit so far has been the drastic differences of the characters described in the book vs the actors. For example, Mrs Rogu, in the film she was a hooker the detective fell for and 'saved' and in the book she's a ex-Hollywood starlet who gave up a fab career to marry said detective. All the characters have little things like that. Another one, Rev Scott in book is very young [25ish] ex-football star and in movie was older and just very passionate. Hard to adjust to, but enjoying it nonetheless.

10. pink-chan

pink-chan Registered

Memoirs of a Geisha. Read that, then watch the film. Absolutely brilliant, especially if you're really interested in Japanese culture and history.

11. TelexStar

TelexStar Elusive

I finished reading The Time Travelers Wife a while back and it really surprised me. Hooked me from start to finish.

12. Ezekiel

omg I love the Time Travelers Wife!!! One of the best books I've read recently.

Soooo made me cry though. :(

13. HELLIOT

HELLIOT Registered

Try Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" Series or Piers Anthony's "Incarnations of Immortality" Series, if you don't like those then there's Philip Jose Farmer's"Riverworld" Series. (Yes I know they're all sets, but they are good, honest !)

14. Ezekiel

I've been reading the Travis McGee series by John D MacDonald. Sort of who-done-it in a sexy 70s style. Loving it so very much. Am three books in with a fourth lined up already. :D

15. [AN]Wlf_Brother

[AN]Wlf_Brother Registered

I think I'll re-read John DeChancie's Castle series again.

16. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

A short history of nearly everything - Bill Bryson

I have been reading this on the toilet since before christmas and i just finished last night. Bit dry in places, but overall, thoroughly interesting!

17. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

In order to combat my eye strain caused by staring at a screen all day, i am reading books.

Just polished off "The world according to Clarkson". Basically a collection of his columns from the Sunday Times. Quite entertaining! Again, good toilet reading :D

18. Masaki86

Masaki86 M'eh

So; anyone read 'The Da Vinci Code'? Do you reccomend it?

I have constantly put off reading this, due to its surrounding hype, and also the fact I'd probably rip some of its claims to pieces, as I am already an advocate of the whole 'Jesus didn't die idea'. Infact, my favourite is that our saviour went to china.

#58 Masaki86, Feb 28, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  19. HELLIOT

HELLIOT Registered

I'd say yeah, read it. The story holds up, just like the bible in the sense that you can choose to believe or not. Me, I thought both 'The Da Vinci Code' and 'The Bible' made good reading, though Dan Brown's book didn't take so long to read!

20. format

format Registered

no :(

read lots of books recently but a lot of shit tbh, best thing i have is my beloved goon show scripts, but tried a few dan brown books (urgh), few best sellers and some old sci-fi 'classics' and most have done less than impress.

roll on comics, gonna kill for blade of immortal 15 and azumanga 2 if amazon don't restock soon.