Read a good book lately?

Discussion in 'Other media' started by Weirdo, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Jump

Jump Super Moderator

Oh yeah, bought that for my dad for Christmas and just spent every minute I could reading it secretly. Very funny.

I just finished reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote - about the murders of the Clutter family. Supposed to be one of the first non-fiction books written as a novel and it was fairly interesting, although a bit depressing. As you might imagine. At least it wasn't particularly seedy, anyway. (All in the best of taste, like.)

Wikipedia entry for those interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Cold_Blood_(book)

2. Jump

Jump Super Moderator

Oh yeah, bought that for my dad for Christmas and just spent every minute I could reading it secretly. Very funny.

I just finished reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote - about the murders of the Clutter family. Supposed to be one of the first non-fiction books written as a novel and it was fairly interesting, although a bit depressing. As you might imagine. At least it wasn't particularly seedy, anyway. (All in the best of taste, like.)

It's funny reading it and thinking the author was mates with Harper Lee, who wrote to Kill A Mockingbird, and that she was with him when he travelled to the town that the murders happened in to research his book. I don't know why that should be funny, it just is.

Wikipedia entry for those interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Cold_Blood_(book)

3. Masaki86

Masaki86 M'eh

Not really an adult book or an epic novel, but just finished .hack//Another Birth Volume 1. Pretty good read, and an interesting insight into Blackroses progress in the game.

4. Hanners

Hanners Strawberry Sae forever

Funnily enough, in recent months I've finished reading both The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Kafka on the Shore - Both excellent books. I'm still yet to check out Norweigan Wood though.

5. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

I've read pretty much all of his stuff so far and I'm now awaiting the new Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman compilation and his non-fiction Underground. An amazing writer - I'm having trouble with being able to enjoy any others right now, which is a tad annoying!

6. Dan

Dan Registered

I've just finished The Algerbraist by Iain M. Banks - I always enjoy his SciFi novels.

7. DarkDesigns

DarkDesigns Semper Fidelis

The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton.
    I have been absolutely captivated from the beginning and I'm a scant hundred pages from the end... absolutely brilliant ^^

Also finally started Chase the Morning by Micheal Scott Rohan, can already tell it's going to be a very nice little world to slip in to.

8. Catnip

Catnip Registered

Just read Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

I can tell why they call it a bloody classic, a simple amazing book.

9. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Wholesome Pervert

Read a few books in Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. I've also started Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance today. Going to the library tomorrow so hopefully more shiny books then!

10. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

While I'm awaiting the reissue of Blade Runner on DVD I read Philip K Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - an absolute classic after all these years and still has a lot to say about where the human race is heading. That said, we ought to have had hovercars by 1992 if Dick's vision is to be believed...

11. bretthuge

bretthuge Registered

Just finished The Neutronium Alchemist by Peter F Hamilton the 2nd book in the Night's Dawn Trilogy and just started The Naked God which is the 3rd, it's going well although i think i prefered The Commonwealth Saga. I doubt many people know about these books but they're Sci-Fi epics which seem to get called 'space operas' - a title i'm not particularly fond of.

12. !!!

!!! shoooooooooot

Neverwhere- Neil Gaiman

I had heard a lot about this book from friends but never got round to reading it until recently. I must say it is incredibley addictive once you break through the first couple of chapters and the story does not let up. The writing is particularly easy to follow and not one of those books that has you reaching for the dictionary every 5 seconds or so! Definatly a enjoyable read!

13. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Building Harlequin's Moon - Larry Niven and Brenda Cooper

First of all, absolutely fantastic. Its moved me to tears since i spent the last 2 hours finishing it off. Its very good :)

14. DarkDesigns

DarkDesigns Semper Fidelis

I've read all three installments and loved every minute :) Great fun, plenty of good bastard characters to love too.
    And some of Joshua's stunts.... O,o
    Long Live Rubra! Ghost of Valisk!

Just finishing up a reread of Game of Thrones by George Martin, then will be contemplating either continuing with Clash of Kings or hopping over to some Catherine Kerr books I've borrowed...

Heartily recommend all the above, especially Game of Thrones and the rest of that series for a grown-up elf-free medieval fantasy epic. Neither the Night's Dawn books nor the Song of Ice and Fire books are to everyone's tastes, but if you /do/ get the bug then you're in for a treat ^^

15. Cheese

Cheese Stalker

Life and times of the thunderbolt kid by Bill Bryson

BILL BRYSON ROCKS MY SOCKS

16. Rachel

Rachel Deculture~!

I've loved this book from a young age, stealing my brother's copy to read it every now and then.

When I went to buy it myself some years later though, the only ones they seem to have in the shops is his "preferred edition" aka edited so that idiot Americans can read it. I do not appreciate being subjected to the use of "sidewalk" and the like when reading a cracking fantasy book about the nether regions of London >: ( I think they also omitted a whole chapter/prelude, background story on the 2 assasins. Grr! Must find earlier publications in paperback...

17. kei-kun

kei-kun Fueled by Guinness

World War Z, not finished it but currently reading it. It is an awesome book. It's lots of very short stories of people who survived the zombie conflict and it spreads out from intial poutbreak to the war and the aftermath. Very good book :)

18. Rachel

Rachel Deculture~!

Reading Jane Eyre at the moment. I haven't read nearly enough of "the classics".

It's so romantikku ;__; and Jane is a great character

19. Catnip

Catnip Registered

Richard Dawkins 'The God Delusion'. Its fantastic, could make a staunch atheist out of anyone really. Just amazing really, one of those books that you have to read at some point.

20. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

Can't say I've had any problem with it in terms of dumbing down for statside readers - right from the first page I was hooked completely! The comparisons with Kafka and Pratchett grabbed my attention but in all honesty he seems to have a real knack for originality. Judging by the rate that I read these days I'll probably work my waythrough his back catalogue over the coming weeks. Amazon might have some older editions still in stock if that's what you're after though.