Read a good book lately?

Discussion in 'Other media' started by Weirdo, Nov 10, 2005.

1. bigdorms

bigdorms Registered

Finished reading The Day Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko the other day. It was rather enjoyable but i enjoyed the first in the series (The Night Watch) a little more, i think the characters focused on were a little better.

For those not in the know it's basically a story about two opposing groups known as Others which have special powers and their strugle for dominance over each other.

2. !!!

!!! shoooooooooot

Neil Gaiman- Stardust. A short read but really entertaining, very imaginative and the characters are really creative. This book could easily be read by children as well as adults and has a wonderful setting for all you fantasy/fairy tale fans.

3. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Wholesome Pervert

Stardust is due to be a movie this year, released sometime in August if memory serves. It'll be awesome. I have a huge hard cover illustrated edition that I love to get Kara to read to me since she rocks so hard.

You should also check out Coraline, in a similar sort of Neil/children's books/fantasy vein.

4. bigdorms

bigdorms Registered

I finsihed reading Neuromancer by William Gibson today. I say finished but it was more gave up halfway through as I thought it was a bit pants. From what i gather it created the cyberpunk genre, I can only assume it also killed it, but i'm probably just being harsh as I didn't get it. Reminded me a little of GITS with all the body modifying malarky and some of the imagery of the place it's set is cool but I think you probably have to be a bit of a nerd to enjoy it.

Anyhow, today I bought Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Stories by Bram Stoker as i recently read Dracula and very much enjoyed it.

5. !!!

!!! shoooooooooot

Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock, possibly one of the best books I've ever read. To be honest this book is like something out of a very good anime series written by a professional author. The characters are brilliant, the story is exceptionally well written and pace keeps you guessing. To be fair I couldn't describe this book in a way that would do it any justice but for all the fantasy fans and even history vultures read it!

6. Ran-chan

Ran-chan Pie Queen

If there's one book Im looking forward to it's Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows since it's the final book in the whole series ^__^

7. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

Ah, thread revival! Since it's been resurrected I'll recommend Haruki Murakami's After Dark. He's yet to disappoint me yet.

I'm currently working my through the original Battle Royale novel which I'll no doubt finish on the train tomorrow morning.

8. Dan

Dan Registered

I've enjoyed reading a couple of his books however I'm stuck halfway through Norwegian Wood.

9. !!!

!!! shoooooooooot

I've just finished reading Scar Night by Alan Cambell who also worked as a designer on the Grand Theft Auto series before becoming an author. The book turned out to be a lot better than I expected for a first novel from the pace of the story to the detail in the city. You can tell he comes from a computer gaming back round with the way the story folds out, you have everything in there from airships, assasins, crazy guy trying to destory everything and heroic angels etc etc. Despite it's cliches referrences it's still very enjoyable and the atmosphere keeps you reading with it's dark and gritty setting.

10. Dan

Dan Registered

I've just read Feersum Endjinn and The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks.
    Great Scifi author.

11. TelexStar

TelexStar Elusive

I'm just about to come to the end of The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafn and I've really enjoyed it.

It's a mystery/thriller set in Barcelona, just after the Spanish Civil War. I really recommend it.

12. !!!

!!! shoooooooooot

I've just finished Terry Pratchett's Equal Rites, taken me a while to get round to it as it's been on my shelf for some years. Never the less another great discworld novel! I like how he blends hidden events in the story to do with actual events throughout actual real life events that have taken place (if that makes sense).Personally Going Postal has been one of my favourites of the seires so far.

Any other Discworld fans here? if so whats your favourite story?

13. Martin

Martin guitaku
    Staff Member

I haven't read many but Mort is hilarious! Lords and Ladies is good too, especially for the re-appearance of the three witches.

14. Dan

Dan Registered

I'm listening to The Da Vinci Code audio book in the car on long trips.

Don't mess with us Catholics or we'll send our albino monks after you!! :D

15. happosai

happosai =(^;^)=

Read 'em all...don't know what my favourite is as they all blur into one (not a bad thing).

[Happosai]

16. Rachel

Rachel Deculture~!

I quite favour Nigh****ch and The Elephantsomething one (again with captain of the nigh****ch and travelling to the dwarves, forget the title). Though I definately haven't read them all!

Recently been reading a set of trilogies by fantasy authoress Robin Hobb, that a colleague at work has been lending me (I've been lending him A Song of Ice and Fire series).
    The first trilogy is The Assassin trilogy, which is very good, and I'm now finishing The Liveship trilogy (same world, in the southern continent). Then there's a 3rd one I've yet to start, A Fools Errand, apparently in the same world. It all ties together really well, quite enjoying it! ^^ Do recommend it.

[edit] har har, Night.wat.ch has been censored! xD

17. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

I dunno, you come on here and bandy your smut about... Tch...

18. DarkDesigns

DarkDesigns Semper Fidelis

So, who wildcarded tango whiskey alpha tango then? =]

Anything with a dash of Vimes = bliss.

I've got a great many of the Discworld books in both print and .lit, and I am no where near having read them all... but it hardly matters, as Happosai pointed out they do blur together into a rather nice mental showreel.
    Every additional book you read just enriches the same world rather than simply adding another story to the pile.

Seconded, Robin Hobb writes brilliantly. Its that simple.
    I'm holding off on starting the liveship traders as I devoured the assassin's trilogy, to the detriment of work, social commitments, loose change... ^^;

also have to approve of lending Ice and Fire, another brilliant series =D (C'mon Martin, FINISH BOOK 5!!! Finish it you wonderfully beardy man you)

Here at Dark Towers we've been reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, The Riddlemaster of Hed, and.. The Subtle Knife.
    ... Left a bit cold on the last one.

I dunno, Northern Lights was okay, not brilliant but okay... after I finished Subtle Knife I shook the book to see if the plot fell out.
    Is it just me or does Pullman completely fail at building momentum? His writing feels like a series of unfortunate/blandly emotional events, no gathering of pace at all. And as for the attempts at getting me to care about the cast or feel a bit upset about the way things are going down... fail, fail fail fail. I don't care.
    I'll read Amber Spyglass for the sake of completeness but its going to be a swift afternoon's read.

I also recently read One Fine Day In The Middle Of The Night by Christopher Brookmyre... I have not been made to laugh so much by a book since the last Pratchett I took in, everyone should read this =D

I have stalled in the middle of Jonathan Strange and Mister Norell as I've gotten a quarter of the way through and... nothing interesting has happened. There are no signs of anything interesting happening either.
    It will be VERY lucky if it gets read through.

Also in line to be read is the first book of the Spellsong Cycle by Modesitt Jr, the first Wheel of time book by the sadly departed Robert Jordan, and The Hammer of the Sun by Michael Scott Rohan (thrid and final book in the winter of the world series, not as nice as his books set in The Spiral, but still good)

Busy bookworm...

19. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Wholesome Pervert

The beginning and the end both suck but the middle bit is pretty good. Start at page 100ish [if memory serves].

20. DarkDesigns

DarkDesigns Semper Fidelis

*rereads*...... I have stalled in the /middle/ of a book despite only getting a /quarter/ of the way though. That's talent that is...

Cheers for the head's up madam =] Some amusing things were happening with a certain lady and her husband's servant, and the fae seem interesting, I just couldn't get the enthusiasm up.

I shall take another stab at it. There is a fair bit of potential here, so if you say the middle part is worth a look, I shall try again :)