staying in/leaving the EU

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rat, Mar 4, 2016.

?

well?

1. leave

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. stay

17 vote(s)
    63.0%
  3. don't know

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Matt Kamen

Matt Kamen Secret Mod. Shh!

So your objection to the Euro as a currency is.... aesthetic in nature? :confused:

2. duoinchains

duoinchains t'other resident yaoi fan

As a frequent traveller to Europe, I'd welcome the day when we switch to the Euro. Money is money is money, they use the same decimal system as us* and their sharpnel is no better or worse than ours (especially considering how the size of UK coinage has shrunk over the years...).

Sorry, but I really don't get this obsession with retaining the Pound. Can anyone against the Euro give a reasoned explanation, please?

Now if you want a crap-looking currency that's awkward to use, the US dollar takes some beating. All their notes are the same size, feel and look (talk about confusing!), though their shrapnel is much like any other country's.

* I am of an age where I can (just) remember pre-decimalisation (Pounds, shillings and pence) buying sweets with old pence and all the weird nicknames for amounts - tanner, florin, ha'pny, bob, thrupnce.

3. megalomaniac

Most people's objections are either aesthetic or historic (patriotic?). Though there is a legitimate argument to be made about being fiscally tied to countries who's business cycles are so different to our own (apparently we're much closer to the US than most of Europe in that regard) I've very rarely heard it.

4. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

<Puts his British Overseas Territories Hat on again>

Moving to the Euro, if it ever happened, would not be restricted to our little island. It actually affects all the BOTs whose currencies are pegged against the Pound Sterling. It wouldn't be a popular move.

5. Matt Kamen

Matt Kamen Secret Mod. Shh!

Yeah, I wouldn't mind joining the Euro, though on that point I'm not too fussed either way.

Those in the anti-EU crowd who want to go back to old/imperial measures really baffle me though. There are only THREE countries in the entire world that don't use metric - Burma, Liberia, and the US. The EU doesn't force us to use metric; global scientific, mathematical, and cultural consensus does. Going back to imperial in the event of an out vote would be ridiculous (though Cameron has said he wants to roll back anyway, which is just.... madness, if he's not rescinded on that since) and set British science and research back tremendously.

6. MrChom

MrChom Registered

The Eurozone itself is not all on one cycle, and their ties to a central bank that set its own interest rates independent of the state of their economies caused a lot of problems for Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain from the start.

Personally I'm all for staying in, on the basis that a lot of our current rights as workers stem from the EU, as do our protections as consumers. They might not go away immediately if we left, but it's unlikely they would be added to. It would also do things like take us out of the mandated "No roaming charges" zone for mobile/mobile data. This is all on a personal level, but hey, that's an angle you have to look at.

On a wider scale there's no way this whole "Europe needs us more than we need them" attitude doesn't backfire. We'd end up as screwed over as the Canadians and swiss are now. All the responsibilities of being an EU country with no actual say in how these responsibilities are created. It's far better to bed in and help change from there than leave and scream at the front door how they ought to change.

7. Jamtea

Jamtea Bee cool

I'm not a fan of big government nor bureaucracy. The EU just adds more layers of obfuscation and unaccountability to our own laws. The fact is that in or out, your every day life is unlikely to change.

What will change is that the people in Westminster will be ultimately accountable for all laws and decisions and we won't as a nation have to pass every bit of legislation through Europe for their approval.

I have no problems with Europe, but the fact is that we're not like the rest of Europe. We're an island nation, and with that does come a certain independence that we should take pride in.

The scaremongering campaign leaflet I received through my door by the in campaign was so full of kneejerk drivel that I feel compelled to vote out simply to prove that we can exist on our own merits and that we don't need the nanny state of Europe holding us back to protect us from ourselves. If there are any bumps in the road ahead I'd like to think we will be able to deal with them in a sensible way, dictated by our own sensibilities.

8. Jamtea

Jamtea Bee cool

Also, I've made the poll anonymous. It's only fair to those who might like to put their opinion out, but not necessarily put their name to their vote.