To go or not to go...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sgtle0pard, May 5, 2017.

1. Sgtle0pard

Sgtle0pard Registered

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I hope everyone will be nice to me!!

Ok here is my predicament I am in... I want to go to my very first anime/Japan culture bases event ever but... Is it ok to go it alone as I literally know nobody who is even remotely interested in such things!

If yes to the above... Well my 2nd question still relates but I feel I need to elaborate on myself for what knowledge I has.

As a kid I was one of the naysayers who used to think anime, manga, Asian games etc. Were all dumb, so I had nothing to do with it for my entire life until I turned 21, it was whilst I was looking for a good horror series, whilst I was scrolling through the choices one did catch my eye, it was Higurashi and that's where it all started for me! Now I've watched all of both seasons, the bonus episodes not many know of and the movie!!

After all that was when I really found out what I had been missing out on and I didn't let it cloud my judgement now!! It wasn't until about 6 months ago that I just HAD to try love live school idol festival (the game) and adored everything about it!! Watched both seasons, the movie and first season of sunshine and I dig it!! I currently still play the game today!

The only other experience I've had is a very short series I got for free called Wakaba girl (cute, but very girly humour if your into that kind of thing)!

And that is literally the only anime knowledge I have, so here is the question I'm dying to ask more than doing it alone, is it ok for a 23 year old guy who knows what looks to me quite little about anime stuff and the community and alone to boot!? Would it just be creepy and should leave it be??

If your interested, this is what I was considering going to: https://www.tokonatsu.org.uk/

Look forward to seeing what you guys think!!

EDIT: I forgot to mention why I would like to go! Whilst it would be nice to see and actually feel what a traditional festival is like, my main reason for going is to find more animes I would enjoy first-hand (and maybe pick up some merchandise... Just maybe ??)

#1 Sgtle0pard, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  2. Tweek

Tweek Registered

I can't talk about festivals as I've not been to one but welcome to the board anyway :)

A good idea about what is worth watching is to read reviewers here or just go to Crunchyroll and see what appeals.

Higurashi is pretty awesome!

3. Cell

Cell Ye ragin', aye?

I've heard Tokonatsu is pretty fun. Never been. I prefer wildman style camping.

4. Sgtle0pard

Sgtle0pard Registered

Thanks so far everyone, very positive so far!

But it still begs the question for me... Is it ok for a 23 yr old guy to go by himself!?

#4 Sgtle0pard, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  5. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

YES
    ! Don't let this stop you going.

Although to be fair I might not be the best person to ask as I'm more than happy to go to Anime and Comic conventions with my Mum (Almost every B'ham Comic Con since it started, Every OxCon and Didcot Con. Maybe even Reading and Swindon Cons this year)

Most of the anime community (or at least the vast majority of this forum) will not judge someone on how much, or how little anime they have watched. In fact at a recent meetup a member of the forum brought her other half who has only watched a few shows and I still managed a good couple hours conversation about Anime with him.

I would much rather speak about Anime/Manga/Japan to someone who has interest in the topic than some facebook elitists I've met.

------------

All I can really say is, if you're interested enough to be posting about it on a forum, then its well worth looking into :)

(EDIT)

Also, look into Hyper Japan, if you want to meet up with someone, I'll be there all 3 days

6. Necro

Necro Grim User

I'd say go regardless, because why stop yourself having fun.

If you're remotely sociable, try and find the Facebook event of it and see if anyone's going alone/looking for a friend. I did it when I traveled to London for a concert and found a guy staying in the same hostel as me. Met some cool dudes, had fun, and I'm not the most social of people :p

I dare say too that most people would be more than happy to introduce you to more stuff considering your lack of exposure. It's always nice to recommend stuff.

7. Sgtle0pard

Sgtle0pard Registered

Thanks so much again guys!! Sorry if I seemed a little overactive there, I think I will go after all!

Here's the thing, I WOULD but I haven't booked that day off at work and I fear they would not let have this aswell in such a short period of time, yes it's only 3-4 days off in the next 2 weeks but try explaining that to them! They really annoy me sometimes :mad:

If I do end up having a blast at Tokonatsu then I'll see about doing more next year, thanks again!!

#7 Sgtle0pard, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  8. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

Only really have to go the 1 day if traveling to London is easy.

9. Sgtle0pard

Sgtle0pard Registered

Not from the coast of Suffolk via train it isnt! DX

But seriously thank you for the encouragement, the way I saw it is I wasn't getting younger, might aswell go before it gets worse (as in my age, XD)

10. Necro

Necro Grim User

Well put it this way, age wise you're one of the youngest on the forum. I'm usually the youngest at meetups and I'm 24 :p

11. dapprman

dapprman Registered

I thougt you were only 14 :!::rolleyes::D

12. Necro

Necro Grim User

Hilarious :rolleyes:

13. Sgtle0pard

Sgtle0pard Registered

Well... That stops making me feel old if nothing else :)

Well hate to seem rude as I normally don't like showing that others go unnoticed but I will no longer reply to this post now, thanks again!!

Oh yeah and I did all the registration and paid for my ticket, so its confirmed I'm going now XD

14. Cell

Cell Ye ragin', aye?

I was 28 when I went to my first con, gf dragged me along. Just chill out and it'll be sound.

15. alpharitto

alpharitto New Member

A good idea about what is worth watching is to read reviewers here or just go to Crunchyroll and see what appeals.

#15 alpharitto, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  16. -Danielle-

-Danielle- Whore dollas all over the place...

Welcome!

Defo experience this event. I've become used to doing a lot of things alone and I'd rather be doing them alone than not at all. You let yourself do this and you may soon feel the same :)