UKA Changes - Feedback and suggestions thread

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Acteon, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

Hi all,

There are some changes coming on UKA - some of you may be aware already, but proper announcements will be made soon. For now I'd like to ask for some feedback as UKA is undergoing a redesign, which should be making it's debut in the next 4-6 weeks (or sooner if I can get the time for it!)

One change that we'll be making very soon is an upgrade to the forum. While vBulletin has been good to us over the years, the old forum is very dated now, and other platforms have excellent features such as alerts for quoted messages and replies, a "like" system to encourage more posts and better messaging systems. I'm pretty set on upgrading to XenForo (which powers TFW2005.com for those who use it) - unless of course anyone here has had issues with it? Your opinions appreciated!

In terms of the main site, while we were a bit ahead of the responsive design curve with our mobile site, I think a responsive, cleaner interface is now required. The site has always been very highly optimised, with small graphics and, let's say, efficient coding. I think we can take advantage of higher bandwidth allowances with a bolder design, larger, clearer images and better integration of our media, be it podcast, youtube vids or other items. So in short...

What would you like to see in UKA v.14?

2. Robert Frazer

Robert Frazer Registered

A search function!

Search by title, by medium (manga/anime/live-action/toy/text/etc.) by reviewer name, by release date, by genre, by rating, manga author name, by price, by studio name. Include options to list reviews in order of publication and rating as well as alphabetically. So much of the site's content is needlessly inaccessible and this will be important for opening it up.

#2 Robert Frazer, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  3. demon

demon Registered

I actually prefer XenForo over the mess that is the current version of VB, so go for it.

4. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

I second this :)

5. megalomaniac

I third the search... but screw faffing around searching "by title, by medium (manga/anime/live-action/toy/text/etc.) by reviewer name, by release date, by genre, by rating, manga author name, by price, by studio name". Let's have a modern universal predictive search. :)

I'd like to see links to reviewer's content from their profile pages, let's make more of our fabulous contributors efforts.

The sorting idea is also fab, and very doable. A clickable sort at the top of the listings will do the job nicely. :)

6. Robert Frazer

Robert Frazer Registered

I'd also enthusiastically support this idea. It helps out readers too, if they find a reviewer who jives with their way of thinking they can then easily look up more of his content. The profile pages are really underused at present, linking to a contributor's upload history from them make them a lot more active.

Another way that would be good to get more engagement with historic content would be an "From the Archives" or "Classic Review" widget. There are over 2,500 reviews on the site, yet only a dozen (some of which haven't been refreshed in weeks or months) are ever highlighted. Alongside the new manga/anime-live-action/toy lists on the front page every day there should be some random reviews - an "Also available" line that picks a random review that's 1-3 months old (i.e. In the same season), a "Still hot!" Line that picks a random review that's 3-6 months old (i.e. from the last season), a "You might have missed..." line that picks a random review that's 6-12 months old, and then a "Look back at a classic" line that picks a random review that's over a year old. These shouldn't be updated with every visitor but should be refreshed once or twice a week (if everyone sees the same review there's a better chance of it stoking some discussion). This would be a way to keep all our content in use.

7. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

All good ideas, thank you. Searches are being added, and reviews by author is a good nudge too, I'll certainly add that.

There is a beta site running at the moment, I'll open that up asap so you can all see the changes being made and comment.

8. Jamtea

Jamtea Bee cool

I'm actually working on improving the articles in this kind of way. It'll be broadly split into the current type of general articles (interviews etc), opinion pieces and retrospectives where older reviews will be featured alongside fresh looks, seeing how shows have aged, whether they've become more or less relevant in the years since release and the current work of their studios.

It'll be a good place to give more personal perspectives on series as the idea will be to really flesh out the content, and more than one writer will be able to contribute to these pieces.

Speaking of personal perspectives, occasionally writers may want to give a more nuanced and personal look at events, news and products/services. This role will be filled by the opinion pieces. The idea here is that the news and reviews will be an unbiased and fact orientated, up-to-date area, subject to editing by Ross and the respective editor of that section. The opinion pieces are to fill kind of a middle ground between a blog and the reviews, where specific content can be commented on by a writer without as much editing and personal opinions can be aired.

That's not to say that they won't be edited (by Ross mainly!), but it's really a place where people can air their grievances or love for services and products without UKA having to put it's name to it. You'll get a lovely photo of yourself and a bio next to the article so that people who disagree can hunt you down for your opinion. ;)

All joking aside, I think this will be a great addition to the articles section and it's a part that I'm spending quite a bit of time developing, so if there are any specific points or tools in place that people can think of to put here, I'd love to hear any suggestions as it's now, during the development process, that I can implement these suggestions most easily!

9. Weirdo

Staff Member

I rather like the idea of Opinion pieces :D

I can finally write those Rants I have been storing up :D

10. megalomaniac

Are you trying to one up Ross on the lawsuit front? ;)

11. dapprman

dapprman Registered

Any chance you can add themes ? While it's all personal taste I frankly find the new look just plain ugly, and also suspect the rolling back picture is part of the reason why I'm finding firefox memory eating even hungrier than normal.

12. Weirdo

Staff Member

There are some themes available in your profile settings. Its a WIP at the moment and I think the rolling image is just temporary until a skin is setup.

13. dapprman

dapprman Registered

Nope - nothing there - looked at every option.

14. Weirdo

Staff Member

Give it time.

I am using the forum on my phone atm. Oddly enough... I find that it's actually nicer on here.

15. ic

ic Registered

Reminds of the time I tracked a Rogue Chromium tab eating up a gig of ram.

16. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

Mobile Forum looks great

Desktop site works nice when you close the sidebar as it feels a little too pushed to one side when its open. I like the sidebar as its an easy click to your profile and recent threads but its not something I'll have open all the time.

I'll wait on more themes before anything else, but so far I like it

-------

Edit, Ram and CPU usage seem to be pretty level my end with almost no real difference. Facebook and YouTube seem to be more hungry

Far better than Wikia and Myanimelist lol

#16 Shadow Cat, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  17. dapprman

dapprman Registered

Yeah - it's a serious issue with this forum type and too many other websites (BBC I'm talking about you). They've targetted at the mobile market, so on a proper machine (desktop/laptop) you just get a flawed up scaled experience that looks ugly, misses functionality (or it's badly implemented) and configuration capabilities.

I've encountered the same with as forum I run on freeforums.org - they've been taken over by tapatalk, and the forums all moved across to a new mobile orientated platform - net result is we can no longer configure the site how we like, have lost functonality, and even with themes, on a large screen looks plain ugly.

18. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

I've switched off the background images for now, that should save you some RAM. I need to set up an image of the right size for it to mesh with the main site, but I am coding my way through all the odds and sods since the switch, I'll get around to everything in the next week. Unfortunately there are times when you need to set something live and give it a real-world test-drive before you can improve it.

On that note, thanks everyone for your feedback :)

19. megalomaniac

I think I may have mentioned this before, but I notice the links on the site aren't highlighted any more. Makes it impossible to tell what's a link and what isn't in reviews etc. without hovering over all the text. Any chance of an adjustment?

20. Acteon

Acteon Behind you...

Think I can accommodate you there, I'll see if I can sort that for you this afternoon.