UKAStock 2016

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by megalomaniac, Aug 12, 2015.

1. -Danielle-

-Danielle- Whore dollas all over the place...

Those dates would be ok for me unless someone books them before me or nerves kick in so we'll see. Hopefully I'll see more of you before then to make me a confident Miss! My Birthday is April 27th and I'll be 28 so can use it as a treat to myself before a premature mid life crisis convincing myself I've wasted my life lmao!

2. Carlito

Carlito Registered

Dates are ok for me, I am still hoping Puru will change her mind about going, that is if there is room for her.

3. megalomaniac

That looks like approval to me and April 15th - 18th is still availible...

Once booked there will be 1,048.50 payable within 24 hours, along with a 300.00 security deposit. The balance (2,446.50) will be due by Feb 2016.

I'll get it booked sometime towards the end of the month (after payday). Unless anyone else fancies taking the plunge before then?

4. Jamtea

Jamtea Bee cool

All sounds fine by my reckoning! Thanks as always for taking the lead on this again :)

5. Matt Kamen

Matt Kamen Secret Mod. Shh!

Hey, guess who's alive? *checks pulse* Me!

Playing some very brief thread catch up at the min, will read in more depth later, but I'm in. Hopefully, I won't have a mountain of work to do next year, like I did last time....

6. megalomaniac

Well, this is turning out to be a lot harder than expected (last time was easy...not that it felt like it at the time). They want the name, age and sex of everyone attending. I assume it's to weed out attempts to sneak in Stag parties. So I'm going to need all your details, please PM me with them asap.

There's also a slightly concerning option on the booking form: "BUY Essential Kitchen Supplies (washing up liquid & cloths, d/w tablets, tin foil, cling film, kitchen paper, toilet rolls, bin bags) : @ 50.00 per booking" - I assume they provide the essentials like loo roll and bin bags and this is for extras, but the wording concerns me, might have to throw a few rolls in your bag as you set off for UKAStock 2016 XD.

Last but by no means least: They don't take credit cards so I'm going to have to be a big mean debt collector and insist everyone pays straight away (that's deposit now and the balance in the new year at the latest) otherwise I'm going to be seriously out of pocket.

#126 megalomaniac, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  7. Gemsy-chan

Gemsy-chan Resident Fujoshi

How much each would that be to cover the deposit?

8. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

Did I miss somthing, I thought we WEREN'T doing Centreparcs again?:rolleyes:

Ah well, you know where to send the bill!

9. Jamtea

Jamtea Bee cool

Yikes, well I guess we'll need to sort out the final attendance list sooner rather than later. 50 seems like a lot for those extras too.

With the attendance capped at 20 or so due to the bed situation, was there any consideration on an alternate venue? I love the look of this place, but if it's less workable and leaves people out then I think it might be worth seeing if there are any alternates that are more amenable.

10. megalomaniac

Depends on the final confirmed numbers (from past experience people always drop in and out), but assuming the 20 attendance figure we mentioned earlier due to the bed arrangements it would be 52.43 each.

I'm open to suggestions, and I must admit I'm less than comfortable with the whole not taking credit cards thing. There's no mention of that until your get that far in the booking process.

This was the runner up location wise: http://www.castle-cliffe.com/ - it's a bit out of the way and pretty full by the looks of it (22nd-25th April is the only available weekend in our Window). They charge 2% extra for using a credit card.

This was an option ruled out because of the price: http://www.peasunhurstcottage.co.uk/ it's quite a lot more money.

Others were largely ruled out because of access. We need good access for public transport because we have lots of none drivers, we also have people coming from opposite ends of the country so really it has to be in Derbyshire or pretty near.

#130 megalomaniac, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  11. megalomaniac

12. Necro

Necro Grim User

Not letting you pay with CC is a bit of a problem; for good or bad there are always a few people who need chasing up or can't afford at the given time. Add in some of the slight annoyances about the place and ehh, dunno.

I'm content with whatever; a nice venue is just the icing on a good weekend of seeing everyone and pissing about. Essentially, I'll follow the popular option :)

13. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Sounds like the venue might need to be amended if they are being arsey. Might be worth stating this in the emails that this is a big turnaround. Afterall, using a credit card covers your arse, AND theirs. Why not use it?

As PT is an issue, could we look at shuttles or using those of us with cars to move people. I can take 4 in my car, though it will be packed solid, for those coming from Manchester/Leeds way. There may be others. We could operate on, arrive early, do initial drop off, then pick up others from train station. Ok, bit a git, but not impossible to do.

14. Gemsy-chan

I drive and can take 3 people, i'll be coming from Portsmouth way so anyone on the way from there to the venue i can pick up and then drop back off.

I can definitely do the original venue and dates but if that changes then i'll have to bow out. Whatever works out best and cheapest for the majority then that's fine, if i have to bow out i'll just have to join you in 2017.

15. Jamtea

Jamtea Bee cool

Wow, that Derwent pub looks amazing! If it's about the same price then I think it could be quite workable. With the max number of beds as singles it would host at least 30 people. Some beds would be singles and bunks as opposed to doubles, but I think it would definitely be more inclusive and would mean that no-one is getting left out.

Is it the location or the dates that are the defining factor? 2017 is a long way away after all and it'd be a shame to miss it!

16. Gemsy-chan

A mixture of both, the dates mainly but the distance is just right...but any further then i'd have to seriously think about it.

17. megalomaniac

Yeah I know what you guys mean, the more I think about it the more the credit card thing is a real worry. I wish they made that clear on the site, not buried at the back-end of the booking process.

I wouldn't worry about location as anything would needs to be in the same area because we have people coming from opposite ends of the country.

#137 megalomaniac, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  18. SUPERFISH5000

SUPERFISH5000 Church of Pancake

Annnnd I'm back in the room.

So, to save me a lengthy stroll through 10 pages, Can someone do a summary post of what I've sort of missed? Assuming I'm still down to go :p

Original Planned dates and costs
    Attendees
    Required deposit (although I'm guessing this might not apply yet given recent circumstances?)

Cheers.

19. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

20. megalomaniac

Mostly the locations suck for one reason or another. e.g. the ones down south would be out of the question for our Scotch friends, Cumbria would be sucky for Hanners, Gemsy-chan etc.

I've not had a proper look at the details yet but this isn't bad location wise: http://www.cottages.com/cottages/the-old-baptist-chapel-11621 - It's pretty central there's a train station nearby, shops, pubs, take-aways, chippies, etc. I think Rob's suggested this one before.

This isn't too bad location wise either, a not dissimilar to the one above but a bit further away from Belper http://www.cottages.com/cottages/turpins-cottage-23512

But... and this is a big BUT for me it's where I'm from (well a small village nearby...) and I'd rather gouge out my own eyes than holiday there. :p