UKAStock 2016

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by megalomaniac, Aug 12, 2015.

1. megalomaniac

It's all up in the air again now, but April 15th - 18th was the time and the costs are just up yonder ^

2. rjessop

rjessop Registered

You know that does look familiar. Bloody cheap too...

Yeah. I cycled through my home village on Saturday. Took 6 minutes or so. Couldn't wait for it to be over.

As for transport, I have a 7 seater (though TBH, you'd have to be pretty short to get in those back seats) so can run people up from nearby stations etc, if I forego cycling to/from the venue this time. Might have ditched it by then though, depending on what I'm planning on doing later that year.

3. megalomaniac

On further inspection I remember why it was discounted previously... Some Tripadvisor reviews mention it's a bit shabby and one states that the electricity is on a pre-pay metre, which you have to stump up for. That's pretty much a no-go for us given our collective power requirements.

as only two people have passed on their details as requested above I assume we're writing off that venue...

I'm kinda short on time at the minute, if anyone else gets chance to look around that would be great. The main requirements (other than the obvious necessities) are:

• Central location (Too far north prevents the southerners coming, too far south prevent the Scots coming - Derbyshire is ideal)
    • Good public transport links (a nearby train station is a must)
    • Sleeps 20+ (we only have one couple, so that means the vast majority need their own bed)
    • Decent size lounge for Anime viewing and video gaming
    • Another communal area away from the lounge for chatting, board/card games etc.

4. megalomaniac

5. -Danielle-

-Danielle- Whore dollas all over the place...

Centreparcs definitely a no? When did you guys last go there?

I just think it'd be cool as there's activities there we can do should we not want to always hang out as one big unit etc lol.

I still want to come. My circumstance with booking dates off work and if my OH would be ok with my going solo plus someone driving me wherever are the only variables getting in the way. Cash isnt an issue as i'm fabulous at saving lmao.

6. Necro

Necro Grim User

They went there for the first UKAStock. I think center parks is too small room wise, plus the issues they have with large groups of men. Also they have haribo PTSD.

7. megalomaniac

Don't go there, you'll trigger latro's PTSD...

I kid of course, but we did go there for the first UKAStock. We moved away mainly because we outgrew it, any more than eight people and it really doesn't work. It was also a nightmare to organise and worked out to be super expensive compared to renting a big house.

We then moved here: http://www.hollowayhouse.co.uk, which served us well for three years. They used to have an apartment at the back of the house which we expanded into in the second year but they don't let that out any more which makes the place far too small for us now.

Next we moved to http://www.riberhall.com which was also really good apart from two major flaws: 1. The internet connection and mobile signal was none almost existent (several attendees nearly didn't survive...) and 2. The basement cinema room is cold (so cold!) and awkward. It's also now too small as we have expanded again this time.

It's actually really hard finding venues that meet our needs, we did really well to find http://www.portlandhouse1870.co.uk/ as it sounds pretty much perfect, but as you've seen above there are some major issues in actually booking the place. So... yeah... I'm scratching my head a bit now.

8. Jamtea

Jamtea Bee cool

I really liked Riber Hall to be honest... with a bit of heating in the cinema room I'm sure it could be a more workable solution. What was the bed count there? It must have been nearly 20 peoples worth right?

9. megalomaniac

18 (approx 134 each, not including the sec deposit and what not). It's actually quite good in that all the beds can be split into doubles that's quite rare. There's also this next door http://www.riberhallstables.co.uk/individual-stable-hire which sleeps up to 20 (approx 122 each) but (big BUT) apart from one of the stables they're all double beds which means for our purposes it's more like 11 (approx 222 each) which makes it bit steep.

10. Shadow Cat

Shadow Cat HelloKittyIsMyWaifu

I really do like that Thornbridge Manor

11. Necro

Necro Grim User

Riber Hall was good but the internet was dire, and it hindered the fibbage fun :p That said it made people watch more things and there are always board games.

I had a short look on TravelLodge and stuff and got super excited as I found a neat place, but it turned out it was in Buxton which I assume is a little too north.

12. rjessop

rjessop Registered

Well we know about the internet this time so may be able to sort something out. Or suck it up! I quite liked it only working in one room (but next time I'm bringing a big jumper - bloody freezing by that back wall).

That stable raises an interesting possibility if we return to Riber, as they can be rented individually at short notice, providing accommodation for anybody who joins late. We had a couple of people who wanted to come later on last year IIRC. Provided they're available of course; you can only book them 2 weeks in advance!

13. megalomaniac

Yeah, that's a bit of a risky strategy though.
    Yeah Buxton's a pain to get to by train from just about everywhere apart from Manchester, and that's over an hour away. Driving varies, it ranges from ok to hellish depending which direction you're coming from but it's an about hour away from the nearest city.

14. megalomaniac

15. megalomaniac

It does look nice (http://www.thornbridgemanor.co.uk), but it's quite a way from any train stations so we'd have to meet in Matlock or Chesterfield first (about 20-30mins drive). By the looks it all bar one of the doubles split so I reckon we could fit up to 24 of us in there and everyone have a bed.

Oh and it looks like it's only available 22nd-24th April and 13th-16th May in our April/May window.

#155 megalomaniac, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  16. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

I have a question as we were discussing it yesterday at the manchester meetup.

What about giving centreparcs a try again? Instead, this time look to take 2 or 3 lodges together, treat one as a games lodge, one as TV, maybe look at going for the nicer ones to get a hot tub. Thinking as they are, as standard, twin rooms, 6 - 10 people, and we can accommodate everyone.

Just need to book kinda, nowish.

Only issue we have is lack of mobile web, but the Sherwood forest one has full wifi and 4g now IIRC.

What do people think?

17. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

Issue we had with centreparcs is that it's a huge pain to book and really pricey. When we moved to Holloway house we pretty much halved what we all paid.

Max beds per lodge is 6 if you go for a pricey one so wed need 4 and I rather suspect they wouldn't be able to garentee that all the lodges would be next to each other so wed be wandering around all over the place too.

#157 latro, Oct 12, 2015
  18. Weirdo

Weirdo UKA Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

We do get discount for booking multiple lodges and I think you can specify addresses if you are doing group bookings. Just needs someone to manage that booking process. I'll run a couple of scenarios.

Its an idea, as it does offer the usual distractions of other places to eat on site, swimming and half decent parking and allows everyone who wants to come, to come.

EDIT - checked prices and availability.
    Ok, as an example. Sherwood forest, 15th April with 18th April checkout, 3 villas, bunk beds, but these are ok. All of them are next to each other. 2600 for the middle spec. This sleeps 24 max, so thats 110 per person. Those lodges can easily have 15 - 17 in the main lounges.

You can also go for the nicer lodges, which will increase the price, but for 3 nights, thats pretty good.

#158 Weirdo, Oct 12, 2015
  19. megalomaniac

That's not a bad price actually and it's super convenient for me, but I still don't think Centerparcs would work. It barely worked when we all fit into one lodge. Three or more separate lodges rather defeats the object of getting together in the first place to my mind. Only Sherwood would work unless you want to rule out some of us going, I can't see our Scottish friends trekking down to Woburn for example. Access to Sherwood is virtually impossible by train, you'd have to pick up people from either Nottingham or Newark which are quite out of the way for pretty much everyone but Rob and I. The onsite food is both pricey and not great, they don't allow take-aways on-site and organising people to cook meals across three different venues is going to be a nightmare too (it's hard enought when everyone's in one place), as is organising meeting up for group activities and such. I guarantee people would end up spending most of the time sat in their own place. It's known to be a pain in the ass to book for groups, Dan had a hell of a time for UKAStock 1...

That's just scratching the surface, add it all together and I don't really think it would work.

20. latro

latro Anime Editor
    Staff Member

Looking further:

http://bigcottage.com/houses/birdsgrove-house/

This is a bit pricer but should suit our needs with aboutr 23-25 beds assuming the family rooms are three beds each since they supposedly sleep 4. Would be 180-166 a head depending on this. BUT there might be an additional charge for some rooms (not sure if I'm reading that right or not).

Most of the rest of these seem bad either in location or lack of beds http://bigcottage.com/size/20-or-more/

This seems fine but won't offer any online booking or price checking though other sites that link to it seem to suggest its about 3000-3500...

I'm starting to run out of places to look at this point :(